Thread: 231 t case

231 t case

does anyone out there know when jeep did the vacuum to electronic plug on the 231 t case in a cherokee i have a 90 2 door cherokee with the 4.0 and auo tranny and my t case went out after 193000 long hard miles so i pulled the t case from my other 90 4 door cherokee same 4.0 and auto tranny it also was a 231 but the new one has an electonic plug and my 2 door has a vacuum plug for the t case any help would be appreciated do i need to use the plugs or what help it my daily driver

Bulltear forum member Cook
    I'm not sure the exact year when Jeep switched from vacuum to electric switch, but it does correspond to if the front axle is disconnect type or not. Vacuum disconnect type front axles use the vacuum switch on the t-case, non disconnect front axles use the electric switch.

Basically, as long as the input spline is the same count and everything else is the same from one t-case to the other, you can just unthread the vacuum switch out of the one unit and put it where the electric switch is in the other one.

I swap one about a month ago. just swap your switches, but like
    person before me you need to make sure on your input shaft to transmission. I thought the 90 came with a 21 spline and after 92 they when to a 23 spline shaft. I tried this once on a 92. had to find another transfer case fast.

they went together fine i found out my donor t case was actually a 90' model year but made with mostly 89' parts the only thing different was the indicator switch but i dont need it to tell me that its in 4 wheel anyhow thank you everyone