Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil fiters and oil types

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I use the napa gold filters.. and castrol (When i get some money I'll be trying the Bulltear Super oil.. until then)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    Purolator/ mobile/ Wix / K&N filters and i only use Shell Rotella 15/40 same as my diesels

works good have no complaints oil is still golden at 3k-4k so im happy its not sludgy and black
    it's not rotella, but in my old wag I used the 15W40 semi-syn that gets used for diesels at work, seemed to work ok, then when I got my J20 I put in the bulltear oil, after I got some miles on the oil it started to use oil, topped off with the 15W40 at work and that seemed to stop, or at least slow down a lot I'm not sure why that is, now I'm using the rest of the case of bulltear oil so I'll see how it goes this time. I've been using the NAPA gold filters.
    parting several FSJ'S

Oil

Be careful of the oil you use for now on. The lovely government has taken zinc out of all "normal" oil. I guess it clogs cat. converters & the auto manufacturers were having problems with emissions warranty.

The deisel oils are good for break in but they are scheduled to remove the zinc from that in the spring.

Try going to www.amref.com & check out their racing oil. They have a break in oil available it is about $4.00 a quart & the "Green Oil" is the old Kendall GT racing oil. It is semi-synthetic & does have zinc in it & is only about $34.00 a case.

I am a dealer for this Brad Penn oil & use it in my 10 sec. Gremlin & have had great success using it. If anyone is interested in hearing more about the oil feel free to E-Mail me with any questions.

Steve Obertanec

ob3326@neo.rr.com

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Went to my local NAPA and got a couple gallons of Rotella T 15w40 motor oil
    and a couple AMC NAPA Gold Oil Filters, Part #1258
    So I guess this is the oil to use for new motor break-in ?
    The motor oil that still has the zinc and stuff in it ?
    That stuff was $10 a gallon

So these are the "short" Oil Filters ? Not the ones that are "longer" ?
    Guess they don't make a NAPA Gold in the longer style for AMC's ?

I remember in the past when buying other brands of oil filters you could get the shorter one or the long one, which held about 1 quart, where the short one holds something less than 1 quart.

Anyone else know what I'm takin' about the 2 oil filter lengths ?
    and NAPA Gold only comes in the short ?

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    well i got my engine back from the builder i has a short little filter on it its diameter isnt much bigger than the oil filter adapter itself

For break in, I made sure to start by assembling everything with assembly lube. Then I used a Non-Detergent 30 weight oil through the cam break in procedure. I did use a cheap filter knowing that I was only going to run the oil for a very short time and the durability issues of the cheap filter doesn't come into play. After cam break in, I'll use the Wix/Napa Gold/Mobile 1 filters exclusively. After break in, I switched to a regular (i.e. not synthetic) oil. I forget if it was 5W30 or 10W30, I have too many vehicles to remember off hand. At 500 miles on the break in, I'll drain and replace the oil again, this time with a good synthetic. I'll stay with synthetic for the life of the engine.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)

Phatty the napa # should be a 1049. Try it & see what you get. They are longer.

these numbers being listed for filters all good if you dont have the little bypass valve thing?

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Not sure, but I think all filters are ok with the new no by-pass adapter.

One thing to pay attention to is Anti-Drain Back feature.
    Couple days ago bought 2 NAPA Gold AMC Oil Filters
    but they were the short ones, #1258 which equals Fram #PH25.
    Took'em back today to exchange for the long ones #1049 = Fram PH11.

The longer #1049's did NOT have the Anti-Drainback valve
    which you can see in the top of the shorter #1258's.

So I kept the shorter #1258's since the have the drainback flapper.

Anyone else ever noticed this or am I going nuts ?

well i have had my engine goin for a while now and i am going to be heading home this week. Id like to get an oil change in im thinkin to go synthetic. i have heard alot of good out or mobil 1. what weight should i look into. im in erie PA so its cold alot. I read that a 10w40 is good in cold?