Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
401 pistons
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 401 pistons

401 pistons

Hey folks. I finally have a 401!!!
    Now I need to find some pistons. I have done a search of the net and found there are not as many options as in the past.

I want to build for wheeling, not drag racing. So I want durability and low end power. I would also like to keep the compression ratio down in order to run lower octane fuel. Simply because I don't want to have to count on the local stations in E. BF nowhere having super.
    Someone (I cant recall who or why) said not to use the Keith Black pistons. I've used them in SBC builds and have been very pleased. KBs are wicked expensive to boot.
    I already have the rebuild kit and RV cam. I'm going to run HEI and GM TBI on it. Stock manifolds, intake and exhaust (non A.I.R.).

What would be a good source for an .030 over piston set?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    The meek shall inherit nothing - FZ

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)

Re: 401 pistons

Quote Originally Posted by casey
    I have done a search of the net and found there are not as many options as in the past.

There are more options now than there have been in quite a few years. KB makes a good piston, Speed pro. - you can ge the speed pros through fastengineparts.com , mad-dog racing two in the same there but also summit has been having good prices.

the stock replacement or forged 8.5:1 pistons that speedpro makes work well, if you put 51cc heads on instead of your 58cc heads you should find yourself close to 9:1+ a bit derepending on a few things

Use a performer intake. and id probably say the Holley 670 if you opt later to not go with fuel injection.

i know you already have the engine kit and rv cam. but mos tthe rv grinds in the kits tend to be smaller than stock.

I have really liked the H262XE cam from comp but i will say that the howards .479 lift 222 dur @.050 with a 114 lobe seperation has been great in a trail jeep cam idles at 500 rpm tons of torque off the line all the way through. all it is, is a glorified rv grind not far off from stock specs. it works really well with fuel injection. stay with a 112 or 114 lobe seperation for a trail rig it keeps the idle and torque curve smoother as well it keeps vacum up for the accessories and for the fuel injection.

i was running a .512/.512 lift cam with a 274 adv dur 226 @.050 dur and a 112 lobe sep and it never ceased to amaze people how it could idle along on the trail with no low end grunt isses and then still manage to come alive on the sand dunes when it needed too. it worked fairly well with the fuel injection though with a carb ive been alot happier

DD
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Helpfull BT forum member Captain

401 Pistons

I purchased a set of used .030 TRW L2308 forged pistons on ebay a year ago thinking my 401 had to go .030 over - but it was okay at standard bore. Had them checked at the local machine shop and they assured me they were fine to use.
    They were advertised as very, very low mileage and they appear to be just that.
    $125.00 and I'll pay the shipping.

Can send pictues if you like.

(Believe these are 10.5:1 compression.)
    No CJ's left. 1968 AMC = long term.

I'm using the KB 354's in my 401. I'm unshrouding the valves to open the chambers up to about 65cc's to keep compression down to about 9.1:1. With the standard 58cc heads compression will be up near 9.7:1 with these pistons.

Watch compression height with whatever piston you choose and shoot for a zero deck height with an .045 thick head gasket for good quench. This will help reduce potential detonation - as well as other benefits.

Hey Dusty, aren't you running fairly high compression with that custom Crower 222dur cam?

PS: The troughed head style of that Speed Pro piston is really lousy for quench and flame travel. Unfortunately, off the shelf choices are limited. The KB requires bushing the rods to run their .9272 diameter wrist pins.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    I've had real good luck with the Kieth Black Hyperutectic pistons on Mopars. Not forged but imho.....you don't need forged. They are HEAVY.
    48 CJ2a 283
    62 Dodge Panel Truck 3 on tree
    62 Belvedere Max Wedge Stick
    65 Dodge880 383 auto
    64 Jeep DJ3a 2wd
    69 CJ5a V6
    2 CJ6a's V6's 1 T98 4spd
    80 Scout Terra SD33t Nissan Turbo Diesel T19
    83 J20 360 T18
    70 AMX 390 Go Pac 4spd
    70 AMX 390 Go Pac Auto

yes

i was at 10.2:1 with the edelbrock heads now with cast iron heads im running 9.8:1 roughly and still no gripes.

and yes the KB's have a much better design than the Speed pros but price wise the forged speedpro's were $360 to my door
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

Member #377

Thanks for the input guys. Dusty, I would like to put new pistons in. Thanks for the offer.
    I also like the idea of 9:1-9:7 compression ratio. 9:7 being high.

Keep it coming.

what did i offer?

Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    what did i offer?
    Right!

My bad...happyhoppy..thanks.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    My last 401 build I used stock style pistons and Eddy heads to get the compression ratio to just under 9. Very good torque curve. It runs great on pump gas and plenty of low end power.

I am building another 401 and I am going to use the Keith Black pistons and stock heads with the chambers opened up a little to get to about 9 to 9.5 compression ratio.

Key is, you have to match all components to your desired use. Don't just select pistions and forget about how they will work with the rest of the engine.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW