Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
AMC poops out at Jeg's PHR Engine Masters Challenge - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMC poops out at Jeg's PHR Engine Masters Challenge

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Well they do say stock block
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

Engine Master's Challenge Rules Part 2

Rules Part 2:

PRIZE MONEY
    Contestants must run the contingency sponsor product on their engine during the dyno pulls in order to qualify for contingency payouts and it is recommended that you contact each contingency sponsor to determine their payout requirements. Contestants may only claim one contingency product per category. The winning contingency sponsors will pay the following contingency awards directly to the engine builders.

First Place- $1,500 per qualified contingency category
    Second Place- $1,000 per qualified contingency category
    Third Place- $700 per qualified contingency category
    Fourth Place- $500.00 per qualified contingency category
    Fifth Place- $200.00 per qualified contingency category
    Sixth Place-$100.00 per qualified contingency category

CONTINGENCY CATEGORIES
    Listed are the areas of contingency product categories that are available in the Engine Masters Challenge competition.

CONTINGENCY CATEGORIES
    1. AIR FILTER
    2. AIR FILTER HOUSING
    3. BALANCER
    4. BEARINGS
    5. CAMSHAFT
    6. CARBURETOR
    7. CARBURETOR SPACER
    8. COATINGS - THERMAL
    9. COATINGS - FRICTION
    10. CONNECTING RODS
    11. CRANKSHAFT
    12. CYLINDER HEADS
    13. ENGINE BLOCK
    14. FASTENERS
    15. FLYWHEEL
    16. GASKETS
    17. HEADERS
    18. HOSES & FITTINGS
    19. IGNITION SYSTEM
    20. INTAKE MANIFOLD
    21. MUFFLERS
    22. OIL
    23. OIL ADDITIVES
    24. OIL FILTER
    25. OIL PAN
    26. OIL PUMP
    27. PISTONS
    28. PAINT
    29. PUSHRODS
    30. RINGS
    31. ROCKER ARMS
    32. SEALANTS
    33. SPARK PLUGS
    34. SPARK PLUG WIRES
    35. STUD GIRDLE
    36. TIMING BELT/CHAIN
    37. VALVES
    38. VALVE COVERS
    39. VALVES SPRINGS
    40. WATER PUMP
    41. CAM BELT DRIVE

RULE SUPPLEMENTS, MODIFICATIONS and/or DELETIONS

PARTS AND TOOLS TRANSPORTATION (9/20/06) SUPPLEMENT Parts and or Tools for competitive entries may be shipped as outlined in TRANSPORTATION section OR these items may be hard carried to the competition. It is the sole responsibility of the competitor that these parts are on hand at the time their competitive entry (engine) is being loaded to a dyno cart for these items to be on-hand. Any parts or tools arriving late may be disqualified.
    All engines must be delivered to the dyno site at least FOUR (4) business days prior to the first day of competition; any engine that arrives "late" may be disqualified from the competition.

LOCATION USE SUPLEMENT (9/15/06) WORLD PRODUCTS dynos/ facilities are banned and not available for use by any TEAM or its entry of the 2006 JEGs ENGINE MASTERS CHALLENGE for a period of 2 week prior to the competition. Dates in effect are September 18, 2006 through October 8, 2006.

(8-15 - 1) Transportation/Rule: All competing engines, parts and tools must be crated and delivered to the following address no later than September 28, 2006. The maximum allowable engine crate size is 36" x 39" x 45" tall, including the pallet. Each competitor will be allowed to ship and/or deliver a maximum of 2 engine crates

World Products
    51 Trade Zone Court
    Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
    Attention: Keith Ferrell, Engine Masters Challenge

(8-15 - 4) Camshaft/Rule Deletion: Mushroom style and Schubeck brand or styles of lifters are not allowed.

(8-02 - 1) Headers/Rule Deletion: Commercially-available headers designed and sold with a removable pipe section for chassis clearance are acceptable but, builders choosing to run this style of header must contact the Rules Committee for a written "header exception" ruling.

(7-29 - 3) Cylinder Heads/Rule Modification: "Domestic OEM passenger car" and "aftermarket OEM replacement" cylinder heads must retain compatibility with unmodified OEM passenger car intake and exhaust bolt patterns. Aftermarket cylinder heads that maintain compatibility with OEM passenger car intake and exhaust bolt patterns are acceptable even if the aftermarket manufacturer has altered the valve angles, valve spacing, and/or valve location from the original OEM design. The Chrysler W-2 bolt patterns are allowed.

(7/29 - 4) Oil Pan/Rule Supplement: Electrically powered oil pumps are not allowed.

(4/15 - 2) Cylinder Head/Rule Modification: "Domestic OEM passenger car" and "aftermarket OEM replacement" cylinder heads must retain compatibility with unmodified OEM passenger car intake and exhaust manifolds and rocker location. Aftermarket cylinder heads that maintain compatibility with OEM passenger car intake and exhaust manifolds while maintaining the OEM-type rocker design and location are acceptable even if the aftermarket manufacturer has altered the valve angles, valve spacing, and/or valve location from the original OEM design. Valves must retain as-manufactured valve angles (+ or -1 degree), as originally cast. Cylinder head decks may be milled as long as the milling does not affect the valve angle more than the 1-degree variance allowed by the rules.

(4/15 - 3) Ignition/Rule Modification: Any commercially available ignition system including points, electronic, or capacitive discharge that utilize a single battery-powered distributor and coil are acceptable.

(4/15 - 5) Air Filter/Rule Supplement: Filtered lids are acceptable and are considered part of the air filter housing.

(4/15 - 6) Rocker Arms/Rule Deletion: Maximum rocker arm ratio is 1.8:1, unless the factory OEM passenger car engines of the same family were produced with higher than 1.8:1 ratios.

(5/31 - 7)Rocker System/Rule Supplement: Shaft-mounted rocker systems are allowed. Rocker systems must be commercially available as defined by paragraph (2) of the rules. This includes commercially available shaft rocker systems for engine types not originally equipped with shaft-mounted rockers.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

I'm not finding what the Indy block has for bore centers, but I suppose it must be the same, or else AMC heads wouldn't fit, correct?

So that leaves the increased deck height, which could be milled down to stock.

Would have to propose this to the rules committee before proceeding.
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    you know when you look at the top ten numbers.. these guys (AMC'ers) werent that far off the pace really..

(Also I would like to take this moment for a bit of an observation) if you look at the numbers.. there arent any 900 hp engines on the list..450 to 500 horse..500 to 600 ft lbs torque..those would be real world numbers..
    Just an observation, and it does confirm my belief that while 800 and 900 horse engines do exist..they don't congregate in the numbers some would believe.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    BTW Jeff what was the thickness on the top ring land you went with? I am looking at a blower motor build shortly here and I am thinking a .3125 top ring land.
    I have to old "CRS" syndrome I'll look it up in my notes today.
    I remember that JE Pistons engineering department had to really work at it, given the dish depth and what was left to get a ring groove in there without sacrificing strength.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown7
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    BTW Jeff what was the thickness on the top ring land you went with? I am looking at a blower motor build shortly here and I am thinking a .3125 top ring land.
    I have to old "CRS" syndrome I'll look it up in my notes today.
    I remember that JE Pistons engineering department had to really work at it, given the dish depth and what was left to get a ring groove in there without sacrificing strength.

Jeff
    CRS.....I can't remember what that is......
    48 CJ2a 283
    62 Dodge Panel Truck 3 on tree
    62 Belvedere Max Wedge Stick
    65 Dodge880 383 auto
    64 Jeep DJ3a 2wd
    69 CJ5a V6
    2 CJ6a's V6's 1 T98 4spd
    80 Scout Terra SD33t Nissan Turbo Diesel T19
    83 J20 360 T18
    70 AMX 390 Go Pac 4spd
    70 AMX 390 Go Pac Auto

450 to 500 horse..500 to 600 ft lbs torque..those would be real world numbers..
    Just an observation, and it does confirm my belief that while 800 and 900 horse engines do exist..they don't congregate in the numbers some would believe.
    Those 450 to 500 HP numbers are the AVERAGES!!!

Peak HP numbers were around 670 HP, I believe!!!
    Nostalgia ProStock.

Quote Originally Posted by a440plus6
    CRS.....I can't remember what that is......
    Can't Remember S***
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Ahh maybe I missed the peak numbers..but My point is still valid 650 hp is not 900 or 1200.. 500 real world actual non bench racing horses..is a bunch (ok maybe short suirts with nitrous etc.. but I am talking about, Build it and drive it..(not on and off the trailer) horsepower.. and If you are averaging 500 to 575..that would indicate that usable power would be something less..(cause I'm betting "Peak hp" would have been in the rpm ranges that most engines see one in a awhile..)

I guess my philosophy is this: I would rather have 350 hp at 2500 rpm..than 500 horse at 7000..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.