Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
AMC poops out at Jeg's PHR Engine Masters Challenge - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMC poops out at Jeg's PHR Engine Masters Challenge

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

Shootout engine

Here's 617 HP with 11~1 (10~1 is max for shootout), ported Indy SR-1s, & Hedman stepped race headers. It's bored to 4.195", which can use Chevy 400 smallblock O.S. pistons & H-beam rods.

Same engine with 10~1 peaks @ 593 HP & 510 ft/lbs tq., adding an 1150 Dominator adds 11 HP & 6 ft/lbs.

Bumping the stroke back up to 3.68" yields 586 HP & + 20~40 ft/lbs of torque below 6500.

(according to Dyno2000)
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    .................................................. .................................................. .........
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown7
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    BTW Jeff what was the thickness on the top ring land you went with? I am looking at a blower motor build shortly here and I am thinking a .3125 top ring land.
    I have to old "CRS" syndrome I'll look it up in my notes today.
    I remember that JE Pistons engineering department had to really work at it, given the dish depth and what was left to get a ring groove in there without sacrificing strength.

Jeff
    Ok the piston part number is 24490
    piston type Dish-flat bottom
    bore 4.187"
    dish depth .318"
    comp distance 1.495"
    intake .260"
    exhaust .255"
    all at 18 degrees
    Valve pocket depth measured from deck

Groove Land
    top .064" .300"
    2nd .064" .180
    oil .188 .100"

Pin diameter .990 ( I went with a BBC pin)
    Pin length 2.930 with double spirol locks (full floating pin)
    Weeight 539 grams

Just for giggles for (1980CJ7) the clearance as specified by JP is .0055 clearance for bore size. Yes these are forged pistons but I allowed .0085" for the use of Nitrous.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I figured that top groove land would be at least .3
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    I figured that top groove land would be at least .3
    It is, the board program seems to not let the poster separate two columns. The first is supposed to be the ring width and the second is the distance from the grooves, the "Z" dimension.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    I guess my philosophy is this: I would rather have 350 hp at 2500 rpm..than 500 horse at 7000..
    I'm with you Goose!

More specifically, I'd rather have 400ftlbs at 1800rpm than 500ftlbs at 4500rpm.

Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Not everyone is in competition to see how slow they can go!!!

Why must you assume that EVERYONE wants to go put-a-put-a-put everywhere they go?

I'd bet that there are more ppl here that want to go fast.

If they want to go slow they should get one of those off-brand units from Chevy, Ford, the Japansies, or the Chinese.

Taking an engine with such great potential & choking it down is like pulling a couple of plug wires off of your Viper.
    '69 BigBadOrange AMX 390. Former NHRA 'Hot Rod", 9.80s @ mid 130s. Hurst/Airheart front discs brakes.
    Nostalgia ProStock.

'71 AMX 401 w/5-speed Richmond RR trans. 4 wheel disc. 500++ HP. Nostalgia TransAm.
    mailto: dhoelcher@Comcast.net GPS: 41.78, -86.24

I actually like to do both, reference my signature.

Point is, what is the application for the engine in question.

Holeshot always seems to be promoting high rpm power. Nothing wrong with that, but maybe not always the best advice for street or off road applications.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Holeshot.. you simply misunderstand.. there is such a thing as a purpose built engine.. and when people post asking for a moderate street / trail engine.. that is what they want, not a sales pitch for a dominator equipped 7500 rpm race motor (becuase it would be blasphemy to not build each and every engine to it's maximum potential) If you will notice.. so when I can afford a viper.. I wont pull the plug wires off of it.. cause I like to go fast too.. (by the way maybe you missed the post way back when I put up pictures of my 1938 Dodge street rod with the small block Ford in it..) trust me it is not built to go slow..but the fact that it's purpose is not a daily driver nor is it built for bottom end. So relax don't take this so personally.. you want every motor you build to be a high rpm big horse unit.. thats fine your money your engine.

In this instance I am simply saying those guys did a pretty good job of making decent power out of an AMC with normal parts. it wasn't that bad a showing..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

Dyno2000

I'm not to sure that dyno 2000 is all that accurate. I've see alot of posts using that as more than a guide. I believe that the dyno 2000 can point trends in power, but as far as graphing hp and tq curves I think it can be way off.

I will post my specs for my engine, that was on a dyno, for anyone that thinks they have a accurate dyno sim and we'll see how far off they are. I even have flow numbers for the heads to boot!
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Hey Jeep man.. I have been meaning to ask how did that build turn out? do you have enough bottom end to do what you want? and did the dual carb setup work out??(I saw the pics.. it looks pretty cool stick up there)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.