Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Turbo 400
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 400

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

Turbo 400

Was there a 400 with an AMC bell housing or did they all rely on an adapter?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    tranny from I think 70 to 79 in jeeps had the AMC bell on them

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I think in 71-72 they used a Buick TH400 with an adapter in Jeeps. From 73-79 they used a TH400 with an AMC patterned case.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie

thanks guys

here's the thread from the AMC Forum:http://www.amcforums.com/cgi/yabb2/Y...num=1165409917

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    I think in 71-72 they used a Buick TH400 with an adapter in Jeeps. From 73-79 they used a TH400 with an AMC patterned case.

Bob
    tufcj
    yep, that's what i remember.
    mike

bullets don't hurt, but the holes do.

VOTE BUTTON

The AMC-patterned TH400 used in Jeeps began in 74.
    73 J4500 "The Slut"
    78 Cherokee Chief "Old Blue"

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic
    I have a TH400 in my 78 J10.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Hey folks- new to this forum.

Turbo 400`s were facotry in the Kaiser jeepsters and AMC Commandos from 1966-1973. These were all BOP patterned cases. All were identical transmissions. A cast iron adapter ring was used to mate the AMC I6 and 304`s. The early Kaiser models had an adapter ring for the buick 225`s. In addition to the adapter ring, there was a crank spacer too. The great thing about these are the tailshaft was the fine splined type that would accept the tailshaft housing and bolt on yoke from late model 400`s. The AMC cased used a coarse spline tailshaft and has no yoke counterpart. I`m putting a 400 behind a 360 in my 75 hornet. Not too sure about the bolt pattern for the q-trac transfer case, but I don`t thing the tailshaft housing is a bolt on for the 74-up. These transmissions are still easy to find if you know where to look. The crank spacer can be eliminated if you use .900 thk spacers between the flexplate and torque converter. Have done this several times without any problem.The commando used a special flexplate, but you can still get them just about anywhere.

Thanks- Drayson
    Heart of Dixie

Quote Originally Posted by dray
    Hey folks- new to this forum.

Turbo 400`s were facotry in the Kaiser jeepsters and AMC Commandos from 1966-1973. These were all BOP patterned cases. All were identical transmissions. A cast iron adapter ring was used to mate the AMC I6 and 304`s. The early Kaiser models had an adapter ring for the buick 225`s. In addition to the adapter ring, there was a crank spacer too. The great thing about these are the tailshaft was the fine splined type that would accept the tailshaft housing and bolt on yoke from late model 400`s. The AMC cased used a coarse spline tailshaft and has no yoke counterpart. I`m putting a 400 behind a 360 in my 75 hornet. Not too sure about the bolt pattern for the q-trac transfer case, but I don`t thing the tailshaft housing is a bolt on for the 74-up. These transmissions are still easy to find if you know where to look. The crank spacer can be eliminated if you use .900 thk spacers between the flexplate and torque converter. Have done this several times without any problem.The commando used a special flexplate, but you can still get them just about anywhere.

Thanks- Drayson
    Heart of Dixie
    the 66-74 used a buick nail head pattern case(with a adapter ring) on the th400 in 74-79 they went to the amc bolt pattern all th400 in jeeps used the short 2 wheel drive output shaft except for the Q-uadra trac it used the corse spline long output shaft and none of the output shaft's were drilled and tapped in the end if you have one that is drilled and tapped it is from a latter model gm trans and if you are installing a spicer/dana 20 transfer case on the th400 dont forget the o-ring on the output shaft or you will leak oil through the adapter weep hole and all th400's have the same bolt pattern on the tail section of the mail case
    it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be a island

I have a '78 TH 400 out of a Waggie in my '69 Rebel. I had to change the output shaft and housing and have the case machined for a speedo. The whole conversion cost me about $200. The driveline was about $200. No changes were necessary on the bellhousing end.
    I also have the 401 out of the Wag in the Rebel as well.
    1969 Rebel 401 TH400
    1978 J10 401, QT
    1978 Wag 401 QT
    1973 Javelin AMX in pieces.