Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dana 60 rear swap

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

narrowing a dana 60

Bob Tuffcj: Do they re use the ends or are they available new?
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    They re-use the bell ends. You can get ends that accept the Ford 9" big bearings from Currie Ent. Then you end up using non-stock bearings.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

DANA 60

NO I AM GOING TO RUN THE 3/4 TON 8 LUG SET UP WITH A DISC BRAKE CONVERSION AND HUMVEE WHEELS. I WAS WONDERING HOW THEY MANAGE TO CUT THE ENDS OFF AND RE USE THEM. PLASMA CUTTER?

They cut my 44 housing using a special jig they had made up, and an industrial band saw. They cut just inside the area where the tube bells out. They TIG welded the end back on after cutting out the needed length of tube (I think it was 3.5" on each side from mine).

The axle shafts were then turned to the 1.31" diameter, additional splines machined, then cut to length.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    did they sleeve the joint where the two pieces of tube come together or is it a butt joint. If they just butted them together and welded them i would be worried about it cracking along the weld. I think the right way would be to pull the tubes from the housing and shortening them on the housing end and then pressing them back in. just my two cents but I know a few things about weld joints and a but joint isn't good enough for an axle. thats why the tubes are pressed into the housing and the inner C's.

As far as I can tell, they were just V-grooved and butt welded. They were done by a certified welder with a TIG. Unless you look closely, you can't even see the welds, and they're NOT ground at all. Wish I could weld like that (wish I had a TIG).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Dana 60

OK Now I need some help. Instead of cutting the only J-20 Dana 60 that I have left, I bought a Dana 60 HD but I am not sure what type of truck it came out of. Seems that the Dana 60 HD is different from the standard Dana 60 in that the case is reinforced , the tubes are thicker, and the spindles are larger to allow the use of the 35 spline axle. The one I bought is the perfect width and no narrowing is needed. My probllem is that I want to convert to disc brakes and I need the proper conversion kit. From what I know the Dana 60 HD is like a Dana 70 on the outer spindles. The hubs are bigger than the J-20 Dana 60's. Anyone know how to ID this? The flange welded to the end of the tube has 4 bolt holes.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    call the guys who make the conversion kits and start feeding them measurements and see what they have for you. It might be the same as the 70 but why order the wrong parts when you can do it right the first time.

THE RIGHT PARTS

GREAT ADVICE IRONMAN. I DID JUST THAT AND NOW I NEED TO GO AND MEASURE. ARE THEY SOME STAMPINGS ON A DANA THAT TELL IT'S ORIGIN? IF I KNEW EXACTLY WHERE IT CAME FROM IT MIGHT HELP ME.

Helpfull BT forum member Captain

Dana 60 Rear Disk conversion

Might be able to help a little here...
    I purchased a Dana 60 shortened to CJ Narrowtrack, 8 Lug, Full floater. Looked like an easy conversion as the rotors were already installed. Purchase brackets, use Chev Caliphers, etc -
    but it wasn't that easy.
    The bill of materials number was gone off the axle tube and I looked under a lot of trucks in parking lots until I found the right one. 1992 Dodge.

Only vendor that gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling was www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com

I emailed pictures and sketches and this is who I am going with. Complete with shipping will be $475.00.
    Safety is one of my biggest concerns - as well as Ebrake issues. (Not to many vendors liked to commit to that part.)

If anyone has purchased the conversion brackets from Ebay I'd like to know how you made out. I'm pretty limited in brake knowledge and can see myself doing a lot of part searching!
    No CJ's left. 1968 AMC = long term.