Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Oil pump problem PLEASE HELP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil pump problem PLEASE HELP

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Uhm yes the oil pump gaskets always go in dry. I am sure this is one of the issues. Never add silicone to your oil pump gasket.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    one is supposed to pack the pump gears and cavity with vaseline though right ?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I never suggest it...it has to high of a viscosity to ever be a good way to prime an engine. It is and always has been a backyard method. 2 years ago Melling, sealed power and all other re-branded AMC oil pump gear sets changed their instructions from petrolium jelly to soaking in clear oil.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I will attest that petroleum jelly is a poor way to prime an engine. Who knows what is going to stick in that stuff?

When it is still on the engine stand, fill the pump cavity with oil, fill the filter with oil, fill the pan up to level and prime.

Never had any problem using this method on AMC's or SBC. Usually instant oil pressure.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Does anyone have the pics of the block cutaway for oil paths. I looked in the archives but thing the pics are to old. cant see them. I would be really interested in seeing these. Thnaks

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Alright guys need your help again on this one. Still no oil pressure, but I pulled of the intake and noticed that the Y block in the front of the valley(the one that has the two open ports) are not plugged, they are open, and when I prime, oil just shoots out of them into the valley. I plugged these two holes and instantly had oil pressure. Which is a first for this motor. Is this correst?????????

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Yes. Both openings should be plugged. You can see some pics of the lifter valley oil line install in thread "401 Build" under my user id and it will show the area you refer to with the plugs.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW