Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CJ-5 tub

CJ-5 tub

I need a tub for a 76'-83' CJ-5!!!! Has to be rust free.....well not totally but exterior around rear corners, rockers, and above fenderwell need to be as clean as possible. If anyobdy has one they would like to part with I am in Ohio near W.Va border and will drive to pick-up. Or does anybody know where to get a good used tub from down south? I dont want fiberglass and i don't have the money to buy a new one but i do for a used one.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    i looked for some back when i was doing mine. do a google search and see what kind of jeep scrap yards you can come up with. Even if you find some small vendor out west they may even know.

I tried calling Collins Bros. Jeeps down in Texas but they told me "Good luck!". So they then referred me to a father and son opperation down in Georgia and he had one but it was in a rear end coliision which would prob take the same amount of body work to get back as my tub would. I tried to do a search and came up with nothing So it looks like ill have another couple grand into the CJ. Less body work ill have at or near $8,000 into her when shes on the road here in a few weeks Damn money pit Jeep!!!

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    I have a complete CJ 5 in mi with fiberglass body that I would sell for $1850 firm. Needs paint and a little work. Take the body off and put it on your Jeep than sell off the rest of the parts. Should than be into it for a lot less than the $2000 that you would have into buying a new body.

Sorry DMCJeep but fiberglass and them cheep Chinese aftermarket steel bodys are a no-go. I prefer to stay away from fiberglass unless its used for body work. But ive seen the bad side of havin a glass body out in the woods......glass will crack and bust vs. steel will somewhat resist and dent. Looks like next winter the Jeep will be down again whil the body is gettin re-worked. I did everthing else so far....so just the body and she'll be done.

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    I knew that. I just neglected to read your post very good the second time around.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I don't know about that. I've had a 4WD Hardware 'glass body and one piece front on my CJ7 since 1987. Except for one leg of the drivers seat base pushing thru the floor (easily fixed with some resin and mat), it's been great. 20 years with no mid-western rust. The original steel body rotted away in 10. I did break a fender, but the contact would have crushed a steel one too.

It's even survived a roll over with just some scratches (full cage is tied to frame). The roll did bend the STEEL windshield frame and break the glass. The glass front flexed considerably, but didn't break, just touched up the paint, and it was good-as-new.

And... the fiberglass tub/fenders/hood is about 250 LBS lighter than their steel counterparts, so even with the winch, dual batteries, spare parts/tools, custom bumpers, etc, it only weighs what it did when it came from the factory, so it's not as hard on springs. I'm sold on 'glass, and I'd never go back to steel, even if I found a NOS CJ7 body.

Not like I baby it either, I lived 15 years in Colorado, did all of the hardest trails in the state. I ran the Rubicon twice, and did the Dakota Challenge 3 times (that's where I rolled).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Hmmm.....you got me thinkin now. But the thing is that my steel tub is getting those how the hell does it rot out there kind of holes. But what i might do is next winter just go and yank the tub....which will give me a chance to fix the back of the frame the right way ....but my buddy has a bay dedicated to a sandblaster....so i might just gut the tub, buy new front clip, and blast all that fucking bondo out of it and start off right with new panels and line the inside of the tub and undercoat and seam seal the damn thing.....i think it'll get me by for another few years or so. hahaha I might even put a tailgate into her.......just a thought though

there was one on Craigslist in Eugene Oregon couple days ago don't remember how much.

Jerry

76-CJ7,

I've got a good 76 and up CJ5 glass tub, fenders, hood set if your interested. It's been stored of 5yrs now inside. Look at my "hardtop and tons of parts for sale" post I put up last night. Let me know. I'm serious about doing a major thinning of my CJ parts herd so let me know if you want to hear more.

George