Bulltear Ad
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Final days of the 401 on the dyno

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    True the iron filings aside, as all bearing won't hold up to that, my understanding is Clevite makes different grades of bearings for the usual SBC/BBC, Hemi, Ford, etc from standard to high performance unless the application is AMC then we only have one option standard grade.

And according to Ken Parkman he had a chat with a Clevite tech who told him Clevite does not recommend their bearings in a high performance- high horsepower application.

King bearings where considered years ago the bargain basement, bottom line cheap replacement not to be considered for a high performance application. Today I don't know.

ACL bearings I wouldn't even consider for this application because a full groove bearing has half the ability to carry a load. They won't work at over 900 ft lbs of torque.

All bearings have a copper backing it's the coating that makes the difference.
    In my engine the coating all showed high loading, (aside from the contamination) and inspection by a ball mic showed a average .0002 squish.

For MC the crankshaft has a .006 thousanths endplay.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    You know.. I have read the concept of crank flex in this thread.. but you know I just read right over it and didnt think about it, till just now.. Crank Flex??? yikes.. thats enough to scare the wadding out of ya..(I mean if ya think about what happens when that crank decides to stop flexing and break...
    Yep it's very scary to think of cylinder pressures in the 400 to 600 PSI range on Nitrous pushing the connecting rods down into the crankshaft and trying to break it in half, or trying to push it out the bottom of the block rather than turn it. That's why orders of vibration frequency have to be controlled with some voodoo, black magic crankshaft balancing.

Jeff

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Blown7
    True the iron filings aside, as all bearing won't hold up to that, my understanding is Clevite makes different grades of bearings for the usual SBC/BBC, Hemi, Ford, etc from standard to high performance unless the application is AMC then we only have one option standard grade.

And according to Ken Parkman he had a chat with a Clevite tech who told him Clevite does not recommend their bearings in a high performance- high horsepower application.
    Jeff
    I appreciate the quandry, but I really wonder if they would have looked a lot better if not for the debris. The ones that don't actually show as much damage seem to show normal break in polish - granted they may not last as long under your high load application as a higher grade bearing might.

At the machine shop I hang out at they build a lot of high power nitrous (1500hp plus) drag motors, as well as a myriad of turbocharged and blower stuff. Yes, they use high tech coated bearings but they also change them out pretty often.

How about a normally aspirated Pontiac making 928 hp on the dyno? It has Clevites in it.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I will say this, I am darn glad you have the time money and patience to build something like this and share it with us.. It is sure interesting.. (I would have had a stroke watching those butterflys snap open on all that money..)
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown7
    I guess I can't shake off my roots in aircooled aircraft engines.
    Jeff
    Speaking of that - see your PM
    Bump for the PM . . .
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Gotcha! Sometimes my PM doesn't work unless I look at it.

Jeff