Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rollmaster Timing Set
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Rollmaster Timing Set

Rollmaster Timing Set

Getting ready to start round 2, and getting a shopping list together. Was leaning toward the Rollmaster timing set, but then I read this post

http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewt...ght=rollmaster

I'm having a hard time understanding how the Rollmaster would hurt oiling to the front components. Was talking to Fuzz, and he even sent me some pics of both types of Rollmaster setups, with the Torrington bearing and without. Don't see how either would cause any problems. Am I missing something?

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    The blower engine has one and I'm sure you have seen the vids, I like it. Although for whatever reason I had to use 4 degree retarded slot to get the cam timed straight up. (again one of those things you have to do without thinking it to death.) Rollmasters good quality. I didn't use the thrust bearing however, I just have a hydraulic cam. I inspected the Rollmaster cam gear before assembly to check the oiling groove and I must say it was absolutely correct in alignment and free of any burrs. I had no work to do there.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    I emailed RollMaster about thier timing sets.
    They said that originally they made one without the bearing
    and had problems reported with wearing the front block face
    so they discontinued it.
    They now offer only the Torringing bearing style
    and there are no issues with it and distributor oiling.
    I guess the Torr Brg has a larger O.D. than the front cam journal
    so that the Torr Brg contacts the front surface of the block
    instead of the aft face of the gear itself, preventing possible wear,
    yet the torrington bearing does not affect dist gear oil delivery.
    Not sure how they accomplish that, but apparently it works ok.
    From what others said, guess it can be installed without the bearing.
    Have read where others said it is very hard to remove once installed
    due to the high tolerance tight fit on the cam and crank shafts.
    But I have not actually had, installed, or used one myself.
    Sounds like a good high quality piece from what others have said.
    So I guess I was just flat out wrong in raising the Dist Gear Oiling question
    but didn't get an explanation of how it's accomplished.
    I guess the bearing works like any other oil system restriction,
    "consumes" a minimal amount of oil, and still feeds the dizzy.

Hey Fuzz, how bout posting up those great pics you have.

Jeff, when you mentioned you had a hydraulic cam, were you saying the Torrington bearing timing set was more for solid cams?

The Rollmaster has a recess in the backside of the gear that runs the whole way around the gear, rather than just the little "divet" that most gears have that are "supposed to" line up with the oil hole in the cam journal.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7

Jeff, when you mentioned you had a hydraulic cam, were you saying the Torrington bearing timing set was more for solid cams?

[b]Yes the solid or rollers can walk more so it's more of a necessity than an option. If you want to spend more money and get the thrust bearing thats fine, your not hurting anything. I chose not to just because I'm me.

The Rollmaster has a recess in the backside of the gear that runs the whole way around the gear, rather than just the little "divet" that most gears have that are "supposed to" line up with the oil hole in the cam journal.
    Yes they do.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    factory gear

roll master with out bearing

roll master oil grove

roll master with bearing

best ever 11.669 @ 112.33 mph in 1/4 mile on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift / 7.358 @ 93.03 mph in the 1/8 mile