Bulltear Ad

Thread: 401 Piston Rings

401 Piston Rings

Trying to decide what rings to use this time. We're going with the Keith Black KB354 hypereutectic pistons. I contacted KB for a recommendation and asked about using gapless rings. They replied that either Hastings 2M262 (moly) or Total Seal 2760 would be fine. On their web page they note "ring set: 2M672" with the piston specs.

When I looked up the Total Seal though, I got confused. They list:

Groove size: 5/64 5/64 3/16
    Gapless top ring: M2760
    Gapless 2nd ring: T2760
    Conv (conventional?) ring: CR2760
    Oil Ten: STD

So do you have to decide between using the gapless on the top or 2nd ring, or do you use gapless on both?

What would you guys use, the Hastings or Total Seal gapless?

Do rings and or pins come with the pistons? I asked KB when I emailed them, but they didn't answer. I can't determine it from their web page. The pins came with the Ross pistons, but not rings.

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Maybe I'm a old fart, but I used Speed Pro gapped rings. I like a little oil getting up to the top of the bore. And conversely a little blow by past the rings, you can't help it it's the nature of the design. Never considered gapless.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

I'm with Blown7 on this one. I used Speed Pro Molly rings as well.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"