Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Crazy ideafor oiling mains...

Thread: Crazy ideafor oiling mains...

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

Crazy ideafor oiling mains...

Looking over the posts of the blower motor in the dyno and all the discussion about the valley line I had an idea.

I can't remember where I got the idea of the valley line for my motors...maybe the Performance American style in Florida. But I never really thought that the oil might flow back through the other way. It could very well I suppose...when the pressure drops in the system maybe??

At any rate some of these big know builders should let us know some info...

I did talk to a guy that races stock cars and while talking with him he said his father raced AMCs years ago and they had a bunch of parts. I got his number and called to see if any were for sale (of course not...I later found out)

But one of them said they had a dry sump system and they use the valley line also. But he said it had 4 lines on it of each main bearing. I never say the motor or system, has anyone heard of this?

Don't know if that would be better...UNLESS a person would take it one step further...Now this may sound "out there" but some of these ideas come up after a few too many beers.

What if a person drilled the mains like in the posts of "Extreme Mains" then drilled all the way to the inside of the valley to locate the main bearing feeds.

Then drill or tap the hole bigger at the top, insert a tube (either thread or epoxy it in place, braze?) that will be feed by a separate line or pipe.

Since the line in the mains now is blocked by the tubes you could use the valley line method to get oil in-between the tubes to oil the lifters.

Of course the tubes would have to oil tight at top also in the valley.

Oil for the new main oil line could be supplied by a separate pump line (Indy cover or another "out port" on MC's new cover he's working on??!) to assure a good unrestricted oil supply.

I know, I know...it's probably possible, but would be ALOT of work and add many spots for failure at joints...but if you tear down every so often it's no big deal to test and check things.

That brings me to this...is it just AMC that have the reputation of spinning mains at high RPM? I haven't spun one yet...but I limit RPM to 6000. To me if you street drive it, at any gear, if you're going 6000RPM or more the cops are going to give you a ticket for something.

On a race motor is different...I suppose some of these guys spin them pretty fast...anyone race at 7500RPM for extended time with a AMC?

I'm going to try for 600hp+ on my next motor for the pulling truck and still "street it" also (years away as I slowly upgrade the running gear to handle the 460hp I have now.)

Is big hp without the RPM a problem with spun main on the AMC?

Maybe the oil is alot better now days and spinning the mains was an issue years ago...
    Has anyone on here had a spun main?
    Do you have some pictures?

I can't recall seeing any resent posts with a spun main bearing and a picture?

I know the cam and dissy gears is fixed. Maybe the spun rear main is also, but we don't believe it ourselves.

I've read that to much oil over a bearing isn't good also.
    I also have heard and talked to few Chevy guys that spun mains at high RPM...and they have had high volume and high pressure pumps forever. They have had bronze dissy gears forever also.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head

Re: Crazy ideafor oiling mains...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep_man_401

At any rate some of these big know builders should let us know some info...
    X2

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    The best way would be to run a line from the pump to the front and back of the motor. We are planning on offering a line kit as a option with the new pump but dont go spreading the word
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

But has anybody spun a main bearing lately???

Have not heard of anyone spinning a bearing lately, but I guess it still happens. I tore down my 69 390 early last year (never apart since new) that had been run on Mobile 1 all its' life - no visible bearing wear, no copper showing, no pump scoring, looked great. Unlike my 78 401 that had been run on dino oil and looked like it had never had an oil change.

Regarding your idea, you could probably increase volume to the mains just as easily by drilling down to them from the left side lifter gallery. I would think this in conjunction with controlling excessive flow through the valvetrain would be a cleaner solution.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    probably off topic but i think i once read of putting linseed oil on the back of the bearing shells to "glue" them in place and keep them from spinning. anyone ever heard of this or am i imagining it.

I would guess that anything on the back of the bearings wouldn't do much good and probably more harm. The bearing has to have metal to metal contact to dissipate heat and seat correctly.

Years ago I heard from "old timers" on model T's you could shim bearings by placing tin foil on the back side...but not nowdays.

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

SHIMMING BEARINGS

I REMEMBER WHEN I WAS A KID THERE WAS SOME STUFF FLOATING AROUND THAT WAS REFFERRED TO AS FEATHERED SHIM STOCK. IT LOOKED LIKE TIN FOIL WITH MULTIPLE LAYERS. MECHANICS WOULD CUT IT TO MATCH THE WIDTH OF THE BEARING SHELL AND PLACE IT BETWEEN THE CAP AND THE BEARING. I GUESS IT WAS A HAM AND EGG SETUP BUT IT WORKED IN LOW HP APPLICATIONS.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    sounds like a good way to not have to buy bearings for your lawn mower engine.