Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The best quote I've heard in awhile...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best quote I've heard in awhile...

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

The best quote I've heard in awhile...

Found here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-3...QQcmdZViewItem

Pictured is a set of re-manufactured AMC V-8 cylinder heads with 51cc chambers. All our heads are completely checked out for imperfections before machining to assure a perfect product, and can be installed right out of the box with NO further work or cleaning. We stand behind these heads %100. This pair of heads are the rare 319 high compression heads. The heads have been ported and the chambers polished. and contain Manley stainless steel valves, 2.11 on the intake, and 1.71 on the exhaust. We use this configuration because our tests have shown that AMC engines need more intake valve size, since they already have super efficient exhausts. Use these heads to build compression. These heads have milled rocker stud bosses so all types of rockers can be accomodated, and are complete with guide plates and ARP studs. The guide plates are the nice ones from Performanceamstyle, not the cheap stamped ones that must have the flash ground off before use. You must specify 3/8 or 7/16 studs when purchasing. These heads are presently set up for cams in the .6 inch or less lift range, solid or hydraulic. If you would like other springs to match your cam, we will replace the present springs for cost and give credit for the present springs where applicable. IF YOU NEED THE EXTRA BOLT HOLE FEATURE, LET US KNOW, AND WE WILL MACHINE THEM FREE. Figure 52 lbs PER HEAD shipping weight. ANOTHER GREAT PRODUCT FROM KUSTOM KEMPS. See our other products on our page.
    Now this guy asks what the flow numbers are on this $2100 set of iron heads and they tell him this...

Q: Whats the flow numbers? Jeff
    Jan-04-07
    A: We don't place much stock in flow numbers, mainly because there are so many variables in the operation of the bench. However, we have a combined 125 years experience between the four of us, so we pretty much know what works and where to do it on AMC heads. We know that 85% of the flow increases are found within 3/4 inch of the valve. That last 15% costs a LOT of money to get, which was not our intention here. Of one thing we are ABSOLUTELY sure, you are getting more head than the money would indicate.
    OK so there are some variables...but at $2100 some number would be nice.
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Guide plates are not nessesary on 219 heads.
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Neither is milling the stud bosses.

The same guy had some 502 casting heads for $1500, and a couple of AMC stroker cranks for around $1800 each. A lot of $$$ for something without real flow numbers.

Trust me .....

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

You guys sure know how to screw up somebody's wet dream =D>
    401cid, T18a/D300 twinsticked.
    Lifted, locked, and Swampered

"Its flat here...real flat. And the locals smell like potatoes."

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head

Re: The best quote I've heard in awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep_man_401
    Found here....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMC-3...QQcmdZViewItem

Pictured is a set of re-manufactured AMC V-8 cylinder heads with 51cc chambers. All our heads are completely checked out for imperfections before machining to assure a perfect product, and can be installed right out of the box with NO further work or cleaning. We stand behind these heads %100. This pair of heads are the rare 319 high compression heads. The heads have been ported and the chambers polished. and contain Manley stainless steel valves, 2.11 on the intake, and 1.71 on the exhaust. We use this configuration because our tests have shown that AMC engines need more intake valve size, since they already have super efficient exhausts. Use these heads to build compression. These heads have milled rocker stud bosses so all types of rockers can be accomodated, and are complete with guide plates and ARP studs. The guide plates are the nice ones from Performanceamstyle, not the cheap stamped ones that must have the flash ground off before use. You must specify 3/8 or 7/16 studs when purchasing. These heads are presently set up for cams in the .6 inch or less lift range, solid or hydraulic. If you would like other springs to match your cam, we will replace the present springs for cost and give credit for the present springs where applicable. IF YOU NEED THE EXTRA BOLT HOLE FEATURE, LET US KNOW, AND WE WILL MACHINE THEM FREE. Figure 52 lbs PER HEAD shipping weight. ANOTHER GREAT PRODUCT FROM KUSTOM KEMPS. See our other products on our page.
    Now this guy asks what the flow numbers are on this $2100 set of iron heads and they tell him this...

Q: Whats the flow numbers? Jeff
    Jan-04-07
    A: We don't place much stock in flow numbers, mainly because there are so many variables in the operation of the bench. However, we have a combined 125 years experience between the four of us, so we pretty much know what works and where to do it on AMC heads. We know that 85% of the flow increases are found within 3/4 inch of the valve. That last 15% costs a LOT of money to get, which was not our intention here. Of one thing we are ABSOLUTELY sure, you are getting more head than the money would indicate.
    OK so there are some variables...but at $2100 some number would be nice.

That was me asking the question. I posted this reply on the AMC forums to get a take of what those guys over there think.

The more I study the flow bench numbers of various heads and what more educated people have to say about flow bench numbers the more confused I get.

Some say it doesn't matter, some consider flow numbers "Holy Grail"

To me if I'm spending half the cost of Indy heads I want some damn good numbers that can be confirmed. Or the heads would be reworked by some of the old time AMC gurus with a reputable name.
    Neither information was offered by this vendor.

So I'm still educating myself about heads and flow.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Now one thing I have learned for sure is the exhaust should flow between 70-80 percent of the intake unless your boosting the engine then 100 percent is acceptable on a race engine but even with boost 80 percent is still the max rate on the exhaust side for street driveability.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    82-83% Is the key number. Runner volume has alot to do with velocity as well as valve size. You want the valve unshrouded to 80% of its outside diameter. That and back cutting hte valve will give you your biggest initial gain. From there the short side radius can be smoothed out and port matching may be done. Keep in mind port matching wont do a thing unless you follow it all the way down to the valve. Kustom kemps I am not sure what, why or who they think they are kidding but I see no porting on those 291c heads. These are also the same guys at the Engine masters challenge that made 400 + horse out of a AMC 401 (Chevy journal) stroker combo. Tells me they dont know enough about these engines and/or head flow to be asking these outrageous prices. Thats just my opinion and I may be wrong.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    82-83% Is the key number. Runner volume has alot to do with velocity as well as valve size. You want the valve unshrouded to 80% of its outside diameter. That and back cutting hte valve will give you your biggest initial gain. From there the short side radius can be smoothed out and port matching may be done. Keep in mind port matching wont do a thing unless you follow it all the way down to the valve. Kustom kemps I am not sure what, why or who they think they are kidding but I see no porting on those 291c heads. These are also the same guys at the Engine masters challenge that made 400 + horse out of a AMC 401 (Chevy journal) stroker combo. Tells me they dont know enough about these engines and/or head flow to be asking these outrageous prices. Thats just my opinion and I may be wrong.
    NO DOUGHT! If flow #'s don't matter that much, Then why were they ported and polished? 125 years of combined ignorance couldn't get 500hp from that 401. There's been 2 builds on tv, by guys that aren't into amc's, that made it to 500.
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Joakim I dont understand how they can expect anyone to order a cam without knowing their flow #'s.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Hey guys have a set of heads here at home.

I'll take a grinder to them and port and polish them to the max. Anybody want a set for $128,487,388??

P.S. I have no flow numbers but they are some kick a$$ heads!!
    If this new part can't break....what old part will??