Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Transmission crossmember

Thread: Transmission crossmember

Transmission crossmember

I have a 80' CJ-5 and i swapped a 304 and a T-18 into it from a 76'? CJ-7. But the problem im having is trying to find a crossmember to fit it. The one from the 76' won't fit, It is just way to different to even make fit and the one from the 80' was so far butchered from the PO that i scrapped it a while back. Any help would be appreciated!
    DuNgA!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Sometimes you have to weld in a plate to accomidate the tranny mount.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!! pyagid's Avatar
    Like MC said. I had to modify my existing crossmember to work with the t-18 in my CJ.
    "Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
    - Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.mikeysway.org/ <~~~ Friend of the family. 100% of donations are contributed. All Taxes and fees are paid for by an outside source

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The skid from a 76 was designed to work with a T-18, which was a factory option from 76-79. The 80-up skid doesn't hang as low and is flatter, except under the t-case. A t-18 hangs too low to clear the later skid. The frame is basically the same from 76-86, so either skid should fit all frames. There should be 4 bolt holes in each frame rail, you can mount the skid using the front 3 or rear 3 holes, depending on tranny length. Unless someone used a pre 1976 skid, then all bets are off.

I have a modified 80-up skid under my 77 CJ w/t-18 and Scout Dana 300. We cut out the area where the tranny mount bolts up, flipped it over, and re-welded it in. Since the Scout 300 is clocked higher, we flattened the area under the t-case for more clearance.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford