Thread: Ceramic headers

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey

Ceramic headers

I have heard that you shoulnt break in an engine with ceramic headers. So I bought a cheap set to get the engine started. Just wondering if anyone knows how long I should wait until I go with the ceramics. Thanks

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The only reason they say that is that coatings like Jet-Hot will break down if the temp goes over 1300 degrees. That voids the warranty on the headers.

A lot of times if the timing is off or the mixture is lean on the first startup, a header will glow red. That almost always means you're near or over that temp.

I broke in my 390 with the Jet-Hot coated headers, but I had a digital temp gauge good to 1200 degrees and watched the temp on each tube closely. It got up to just over 900 degrees at it's hottest. I didn't want to deal with a swap on my AMX because they're such a PITA to get in.

If yours is past the cam break in, and the timing and mixture are set, go ahead and switch the headers.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Thanks bob that helps. I have just finished breaking in the cam and adjusting the carb. I did notice a couple of red hot header tubes right at the head, before I got it broke in. But everything seems good now.

Mike