Thread: Drilling out main bearings

Drilling out main bearings

I read somewhere about redrilling the mains oil holes, but where ?? Could someone help me ? Thanks a lot

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    it's done often lets you pick what size oil hole you want. Done a lot with cam bearings you drill the hole and then line your hole up with the oil slot.

main oil holes

Thanks for your help Ironman, I found in another site that I can drill the last 4 main on the block at 11/32. What do you think about that ?

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    couldn't tell you I've never done it myself but I have heard of a lot of guys doing it. Check with some of the guru's and see what they think.

A lot of people talk about opening up the feed path from the lifter gallery to the main bearings, or, adding another feed path from the drivers side lifter gallery to the main bearings. Keep in mind, however, that the hole in the bearing, the bearing to journal clearance, and oil pressure is ultimately what governs flow rate through the bearings themselves.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Mains oil hole

Sorry Waggy for that really late reply, just back from work !!
    So, I don't really know if I'm going to do it, I prefer to be safe than sorry ! but I will dig a bit further on that subject. Thanks for your help.