Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Having issues with my 360

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    I lack experience with the newer distributors like DUI.
    Once I installed a Mallory UniLite conversion,
    removed the vacuum advance,
    recurved the Mechanical advance,
    and phased the stock Delco unit in my '69 AMX
    it made a vast improvement.
    Probably about 3 tenths worth in the 1/4 mile.
    Also run an MSD 6T and Blaster 2 Coil.
    BullTear sells new HEI type disributors at a good price, $229 + ship.
    It's under Carbs / Fuel Injection in the BullTear e-Store
    Be sure to re-use your old dizzy gear if in good shape
    and properly set the distrib shaft end play.
    If the dizzy gear is no good, should replace both.
    Not that easy of a task, hopefully yours are in good shape.
    If they're worn they can move the timing around on ya.
    As ya probably know the trick with valves is to not get'em too tight.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I am curious about the charecteristics of the engine.. is throttle repanse good (crisp?) and does it have the bottom end power? your setup would indicate to me a good bottom end combo.. that would/ should pull pretty hard up to say 5500 rpm.. I would expect it to fall off above that.

I would be more suspicious of a problem rather than wrong parts.. edelbrock is pretty good stuff. ( I know some here don't care for the Edel cam..I have had good luck with it) the hard cranking issue is something I have had trouble with in the past.. IF I rememeber I went from ported vacuum to full time on the vacuum advance and this allowe d me to run less intial timing.. (I dont remember clearly been a long time ago.) But it was along those lines.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Vacuum advance vacuum line is sometimes ran through a thermostatic switch.
    If motor gets hot, vacuum to advance unit is changed from ported to manifold,
    giving more advance at idle to help cool it down.
    Wouldn't vac advance on manifold give more while cranking to start making it harder ?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose
    I am curious about the charecteristics of the engine.. is throttle repanse good (crisp?) and does it have the bottom end power? your setup would indicate to me a good bottom end combo.. that would/ should pull pretty hard up to say 5500 rpm.. I would expect it to fall off above that.

I would be more suspicious of a problem rather than wrong parts.. edelbrock is pretty good stuff. ( I know some here don't care for the Edel cam..I have had good luck with it) the hard cranking issue is something I have had trouble with in the past.. IF I rememeber I went from ported vacuum to full time on the vacuum advance and this allowe d me to run less intial timing.. (I dont remember clearly been a long time ago.) But it was along those lines.
    At the hit of the throttle it responds alright, mid range it barely pulls at all, starts to loose power at around 3 grand, will NOT pull to 5 grand, ( Well thats not true, if in low range it probably would ) On ocassion, when I hit the throttle hard it will belch and hiccup.

I have had three different Carbs on the thing, two Edelbrocks ( Better used as paper weights ) and my current Holley Truck Avenger.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    sounds like you have a lean spot in your fuel curve. You probably have to play around with the jetting on the main circuit.
    as for the starting. try using a ported vacuum source on the dizzy and back out some timing or try a different starter. also try to richen the idle circuit a half turn.
    When it hiccupps as you mash the throttle is probably caused by the accelerator pump being too lean and your getting a flat spot. Is this carb new or used. I had similar problems with a Holley and most of them were caused by dirty fuel circuits. Try cleaning the carb pay special attention to the metering holes inside the metering block and main body.
    Hope this helps some. always chasing gramlins

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    sounds like you have a lean spot in your fuel curve. You probably have to play around with the jetting on the main circuit.
    as for the starting. try using a ported vacuum source on the dizzy and back out some timing or try a different starter. also try to richen the idle circuit a half turn.
    When it hiccupps as you mash the throttle is probably caused by the accelerator pump being too lean and your getting a flat spot. Is this carb new or used. I had similar problems with a Holley and most of them were caused by dirty fuel circuits. Try cleaning the carb pay special attention to the metering holes inside the metering block and main body.
    Hope this helps some. always chasing gramlins
    Carb was bought new, I had been using Edlebrock carbs, which acted very similar to the Holley, the reason I changed was that on extreme angles the Edlebrocks sucked, Even the supposed "Off Road " carb, when I would stand the rig on its nose would stall and become a bear to restart, The holley is darn near like having fuel injection, I can count on one hand the times it has stalled, even when it stalled it starts right back up.

I have a kit from Holley with different springs, jets, valves etc, etc, I just didn`t think it was a Carb problem, so I haven`t fiddled with it yet.

I already have the dizzy hooked to a Ported vacuum sorce. As one of the board has already sugested, I may try one of the HEI distributors sold here and see if that allieviates some of my problem. Thanks to all for the help, many good sugestions.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    yea Edelbrock would do well to lower the float level on thier carbs.. I have run them forvever and love em.. but if that float level is set at factory it will do that..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by AMX69PHATTY
    Wouldn't vac advance on manifold give more while cranking to start making it harder ?
    There isn't enough to even nudge the vacuum cannister.