I'm sorry for the long winded post, but you guys are JUST ABOUT my only hope.
My newest FSJ, an '81 Cherokee doesn't run. It cranks over, but won't start. I'm pretty much ruling out fuel, because the fuel pump is brand new and pouring a little gas in the carb doesn't help any. I pulled the dist. cap and the rotor looks ok and is turning fine while cranking the engine. The coil is obviously good, with 12.90 volts when the key is on. I pulled the coil wire where it goes into the dist. cap and it is shooting a little fire...so the ignition module was suspect. I took the ignition module off and took it to Advance and tested it. It tested bad, so I bought a replacement (tested it before it left the store). Check the big red ignition wire at the Ignition Module plug. 12.99-13.00 volts there with the key on. Maybe a fuel delivery issue after all? Not hardly...hooked up a gas can to the mechanical fuel pump. The pump is definitely pumping. To be honest, I can't really see gas entering the carb, though. So I go back to thinking it might be an ignition problem. Again, I unplug the coil wire from the dist. cap; I can see spark when cranking. So I pull the number 1 plug wire (very front of the engine) at the spark plug. When cranking the engine, I see NO spark. Maybe it's the pickup coil gone bad? Everything inside of the distributor (UNDER THE CAP)looks BRAND NEW.
Here is the 6 page thread over at IFSJA.
http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...t=63035&page=5

TIA!

Earl H.