Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
258 won't start-Ignition issues??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 258 won't start-Ignition issues???

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    The inside of the distributor (under the cap) looks BRAND NEW. All of the wiring looks very nice. It APPEARS that the pickup has been changed, but i can't verify that, either. It's ALOT cleaner under there than that of my '90 GW. Here are a few crappy pics I took last night.

I would pitch the cap/rotor and start over. even with the nasty pic, it looks like it's "tracking".

10-4. I've yet to "tune it up". I know the plug wires (NAPA) haven't been on there too long, but I'll replace the cap and rotor in the morning. I'll keep you updated. I appreciate your time

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    hopefully with a new cap and rotor the problem will correct itself. if not then check the timing.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

I changed out the cap & rotor this afternoon and it made a HUGE difference in the way it sounds while cranking. Also, I pulled the coil wire off of the cap and while cranking, there is a big spark, unlike before. So now I need to change the plugs and POSSIBLY the plug wires. It still hasn't started, but it's alot closer. I HOPE to have it running tomorrow. I'm dedicating all of tomorrow to it.
    FUEL DELIVERY-
    This is the deal. I've got a hose running from the fuel pump inlet into a gas can (bypassing the fuel line from the tank). It's definitely taking the gas from the can. As much as we've been cranking it, I'm a tad bit concerned with the engine having a bunch of unburnt fuel in it. I'm gonna pull the plugs tomorrow to see if they are gassy, which they really SHOULD be. I think I'm gonna replace the plug wires also because those that are on it are kinda stiff. We pulled a plug wire this afternoon and got it close to a ground, and didn't see any spark.
    HOPEFULLY, with new plugs and plug wires, it'll fire off.
    Earl H.
    Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee
    '93 Grand Cherokee Limited
    "You can buy style, but you can't buy class"

Hopefully it fires after cleaning the plugs. No doubt they're soaked down. change the oil when you get it fired since there's probably fuel in it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' school power
    change the oil when you get it fired since there's probably fuel in it by now.
    I was just thinking that this evening. LOL
    I really hope this thing fires with new plugs. I've never owned a 258 before I was thinking of putting 10w30 in it after it gets running. Sound alright?
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

Should be just fine unless it's worn out.
    cross that bridge when you get there. One step at a time.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    i've been using shell rotella-t in the MKVII LSC and the suburban. after i rebuild the 258 in the eagle it will run rotella-t
    also.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Quote Originally Posted by rollen dean montoya
    i've been using shell rotella-t in the MKVII LSC and the suburban. after i rebuild the 258 in the eagle it will run rotella-t
    also.
    That's not a bad idea. I'm not sure what I was thinking...I run 15w40 in my '92 Suburban and in my '90 GW.
    I've always heard that 15w40 "diesel" oil cleans the engine better than conventional grade oil.
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee