Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
258 won't start-Ignition issues??? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 258 won't start-Ignition issues???

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum
    ok...so we just went out there and put it at TDC on #1 (as best I could tell, anyway). The rotor button was facing #1 on the dist. cap, but the timing mark on the crank pulley wasn't on 0*. So I hand cranked the engine over (3/4" socket on a ratchet) so that the timing mark was on or extremely close to 0*. That moved the rotor button 180* from where it was facing. It is now facing the #6 plug wire terminal on the cap (between cylinders 3 & 4).
    Earl H.
    Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee
    '93 Grand Cherokee Limited
    "You can buy style, but you can't buy class"

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you sure that was on a compression stroke for #1. sounds like you were on TDC on an intake or exhaust stroke.

and you were correct!

ok...so according to Hayne's, I rotated the crank (by hand) 360*. The rotor button is now facing the #1 terminal on the dist. cap, but the timing mark is at 4* or 6* on the timing tab.
    Rotor Button is facing #1 terminal at TDC

Timing Marks at or around 6*-8* at TDC
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

I think you're on to something...the base of the carb is wet with gas. looks like I'll be pulling the carb tommorow for a rebuild. The Carter will have to do, for now.
    You can easily get that just by pumping the fuel without the engine running. It'll run off the throttle blade and out the side of the shaft. Doesn't mean it needs a rebuild.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    and as to your timing marks.. that is about correct.. 6 to 8 degrees BTDC (advanced) ..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Bowtie - unless your really into tweaking, don't do the Webber. Seems like there are those that love'm and then there's those who can't seem to get it dialed in to work worth a shit.

I've also had two different shops try and tweak it too!

So far I'm 0 for 3 on getting the 38DGES to work right on my daughters 4.2L
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    Bowtie - unless your really into tweaking, don't do the Webber. Seems like there are those that love'm and then there's those who can't seem to get it dialed in to work worth a shit.

I've also had two different shops try and tweak it too!

So far I'm 0 for 3 on getting the 38DGES to work right on my daughters 4.2L
    yep...I've got a 2100 on the way, via the eBay

My dad talked to a couple of guys at his work today. They seem to think the problem lies within the carb. They are thinking that the jets in the BBD could not be picking up the fuel. As mentioned WAY EARLIER, I've poured gas down the throat of the carb AND I've tried starting fluid, with no progress.
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieman55
    My dad talked to a couple of guys at his work today. They seem to think the problem lies within the carb. They are thinking that the jets in the BBD could not be picking up the fuel. As mentioned WAY EARLIER, I've poured gas down the throat of the carb AND I've tried starting fluid, with no progress.
    You MANUALLY injected fuel and sprayed CH3NO2 (nitro methane) and it STILL didn't start

Sounds like more than a carb issue
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

that's EXACTLY what I say/think. It would have at least sputtered or something by bypassing the carb completely.

Mudrat, look at my previous post from last night where I show the location of the rotor button compared to the timing mark. SHOULD the engine catch with it like it sits?
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

It depends, not there to see it, but if you are at TDC and have 'about 6*' dialed in, kick it up a bit ...

BUT, you have done all of the above suggestions ... right?
    Cap, Rotor, wires ... got good spark at the (new?) plugs (properly gapped )
    Do you have the TFI upgrade? (Just a question)
    Verified the splitter fuel filter is doing it's job ... fuel to the carb, overpressure back down the return line ...
    Ensured you ARE on the compression stroke
    Set the engine at TDC (0* on the compression stroke indicated on the crank!)
    Twist the dizzy to about 10* -12* BTDC (you can use a compass or a degree wheel to get closer than a 'guestimate')

And fire that mother up!!

This process worked for a brand new rebuilt 258 (bored, balanced, ported, polished, some Clifford "stuff", & Webber3 and my 360 (bored, balanced, cross drilled then ground & polished crank, Summit cam, various Edelbrock goodies on top, stock dizzy and headers)

If that doesn't work, you have another problem, low or no compression in the cylinders (strange it would be all of them, but ... you just got this thing in a non-running condition. ) Have you pulled the pan and looked at the bottom end? Drained the oil and looked for "chunks" )

Really bad leaking valves?

Timing chain pop a sprocket? Always a possibilty; even on a 6-banger!!!

What's the 'advertised' milage on this beast?

If that doesn't work, tear it down to parade rest and build it like you want to!!

This is what your looking at over at Jeep 4X4 Center And, NO the numbers do not match the items - don't blame me, send complaints to the Jeep 4X4 Center
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE