Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 258 won't start-Ignition issues???

Helpfull BT forum member Admiral of the Forum

Thanks for all your help so far!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    It depends, not there to see it, but if you are at TDC and have 'about 6*' dialed in, kick it up a bit ...

BUT, you have done all of the above suggestions ... right?
    Cap, Rotor, wires ... got good spark at the (new?) plugs (properly gapped ) YES
    Do you have the TFI upgrade? (Just a question)Not until it runs
    Verified the splitter fuel filter is doing it's job ... fuel to the carb, overpressure back down the return line ...I made sure fuel was coming out of the fuel filter main line
    Ensured you ARE on the compression stroke I'm pretty sure it is; I can feel the piston (about an 1" down) when I stick a small screwdriver into the spark plug hole.
    Set the engine at TDC (0* on the compression stroke indicated on the crank!)
    Twist the dizzy to about 10* -12* BTDC (you can use a compass or a degree wheel to get closer than a 'guestimate')Which direction do I turn it? I do this after I set the timing mark on 0*, right?

And fire that mother up!!

This process worked for a brand new rebuilt 258 (bored, balanced, ported, polished, some Clifford "stuff", & Webber3 and my 360 (bored, balanced, cross drilled then ground & polished crank, Summit cam, various Edelbrock goodies on top, stock dizzy and headers)

If that doesn't work, you have another problem, low or no compression in the cylinders (strange it would be all of them, but ... you just got this thing in a non-running condition. ) Have you pulled the pan and looked at the bottom end? No
    Drained the oil and looked for "chunks" )I changed the oil, for fear of gas contamination. It was old & black, but nothing metallic

Really bad leaking valves?

Timing chain pop a sprocket? Always a possibilty; even on a 6-banger!!! If this would have happened, would the engine spin over freely while cranking? It doesn't really miss a beat while cranking.
    What's the 'advertised' milage on this beast?52,2XX
    My dad called the P.O. today while he was at work. He said that he was using it on the farm and it started acting up a little. He thought it was having carb. issues, so he replaced the fuel pump.

If that doesn't work, tear it down to parade rest and build it like you want to!!

This is what your looking at over at Jeep 4X4 Center And, NO the numbers do not match the items - don't blame me, send complaints to the Jeep 4X4 Center
    Earl H.
    Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee
    '93 Grand Cherokee Limited
    "You can buy style, but you can't buy class"

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    definately check the compression and make sure the timing hasn't jumped 180 degrees on you. Had this happen to my 304 everything checked properly but had no compression on all cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    definately check the compression and make sure the timing hasn't jumped 180 degrees on you. Had this happen to my 304 everything checked properly but had no compression on all cylinders.
    so if I check the compression, and it comes up short, or none at all, does that mean that the timing has jumped? How will I know if it's 180* out?
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    if its 0psi you definately have jumped timing if its low its probable that the timing has jumped. Mine was 180 off and that caused me to have no compression in all cylinders.

Ok, that's kinda what I thought. I was just making sure. Thanks yall!
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    guess ya know, to find TDC on #1 Compression stroke,
    take out #1 plug, hold finger on spark plug hole,
    bump motor with starter till ya feels pressure start'ta build in #1,
    then turn motor by hand same direction, shouldn't be vary far, untill dampener groove & cover pointer timing marks line up at 0 degrees.
    At this position rotor button should also be pointing at #1 post in distributor cap.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq
    Same suggestion I made back on the 27th of last month.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    and i agreed with it. you gotta start there
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

And it's my fault. I haven't done it yet. I don't have a compression guage of my own, but I guess I'll head out and get one...it's been so cold out the past few days, I really haven't felt like messing with it. The next time the hood opens will be for a compression check...after I remove the A/C compressor for access to the #1 cylinder

THANKS AGAIN!
    Earl H.
    www.cfsjc.com
    '90 Grand Wagoneer
    '81 Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by bowtieman55
    And it's my fault. I haven't done it yet. I don't have a compression guage of my own, but I guess I'll head out and get one...it's been so cold out the past few days, I really haven't felt like messing with it. The next time the hood opens will be for a compression check...after I remove the A/C compressor for access to the #1 cylinder

THANKS AGAIN!
    Cold?
    HA! Hear those little violins playin'?
    Better read the midwest weather map for the past week. Cold snap broke today, we got to 10 above from the 15 below.
    Don't worry about #1. If the others (2~6) are working, #1 isn't holding you back.

Here's a crude test. does the car have a full exhaust?
    Have someone crank the engine and put your hand by the tail pipe. The one's I've found with a jumped chain will suck your hand to the pipe instead of pushing it away.