Thread: 360 questions

360 questions

hello,

I am working on my first 360 build. I have built chevy and vw before but never an AMC. I am building a 360 to go into my 84 cj7. I recently aquired a whole bunch of AMC blocks, heads, and whatnot and am going to use this to replace my 258. First question is--how do I find out what cars these engines came out of? second is--can I use all of the clutch components from my 258 on the 360 flywheel? and 3rd--what external parts can I use from the 258 (power steering pump, alternator, etc.)? I was going to pick up a rebuild kit but I dont know what car this came out of. I am going to sell all of the leftovers (heads, blocks, etc) if anyone is interested as well.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    What blocks (cid), and head #'s do you have?
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Thank you from BT Master Mechanic

Re: 360 questions

Quote Originally Posted by joshcrowley

--can I use all of the clutch components from my 258 on the 360 flywheel? and 3rd--what external parts can I use from the 258 (power steering pump, alternator, etc.)?
    yes, the 258 clutch pressureplate will bolt to the 360 flywheel (be sure you use the 360 flywheel and not the 258 flywheel). you can use all of your original clutch components.

I used my original 258 PS pump but i had to modify the bracket a little bit. I ended up haveing to purchase a different alternator on my 401.
    401cid, T18a/D300 twinsticked.
    Lifted, locked, and Swampered

"Its flat here...real flat. And the locals smell like potatoes."

Thanks cj jim. Brek...the only block left to claim is a 304, I will check on the #'s of the heads and get back to you.

--the numbers on the 360 heads are 3233344. I only have 1 set left, the 304 heads aren't here right now so I will check later on tonight.