Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
343 pistons in 360, don't fit... - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 343 pistons in 360, don't fit...

It is hitting the area below the wrist pin marked in the pic. Should I take material off both sides of the piston, or just the side that contacts the crank?

If I can get away without rebalancing, I would prefer not to spend the money. I'm pretty much pushing my budget to finish this motor as it is.

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    Wow, I don't know. That area does look thicker in your pic.
    That ledge is about .20 thick on the ones I have.
    From piston top to that surface is about 2.40 on the 360, 2.45 on the 343.
    Guess this is over my head and I'd better drop out and let the proffesionals.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Well I am not sure on the clearance issues but I can tell you 2 things to keep in mind.. Rods stretch and shrink.. so If you are going to clearance the pistons.. make sure you have a little extra clearance, cause at operating speeds that piston is really moving when it hits the top and bottom of the stroke.. and what looks like enough now, won't be.. (as to the amount.. beats me maybe MC and the fast guys know..) but the second is.. If you grind material off those pistons.. spend the bucks.. rebalance. balancing an engine is the single best dollar you can spend.. It will increase power and longevity more than any other money spent on a bottom end..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    How much is hitting? If you have to take off a small amount I wouldnt worry about re-balancing. Your not going to hit and hold 7500+rpm are you?
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I didn't have a good mic handy at the time. I don't think it is much material, but I'll put one rod/piston on the crank after work to measure before I do anything to the piston. Too much drama yesterday to do anything more than paint the tins (and my hands).

I hope to never hit 7500 RPM. This is an offroad rockcrawler that I will be driving to trail this season, trailering starting next year. It will be idling a lot, and staying in the lower RPM range, but it'll run higher compression if it matters.

BTW guys, I appreciate the input. My book shows the steps, but not what to do if things don't fit. If not for Bulltear I would have already smashed everything.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you'll probably be fine if you try to take the same amount off of all the pistons.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintedRat
    Wow, if we put that in our engine compartment...you wouldn't be able to see it, ha, ha. It would be camouflaged, or however you spell in French.

Frank is goona flip! Hey Pat remember when we stole Frank's jeep after the shots of Icehole? Doesnt that stuff lead to trouble
    [COLOR=#000000]

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    OMG!!! (In a pseudo California Girl Voice)
    Yeah I remember dragging Frank outta the rack (tent?) to fire up his truck, grab the trailer and come salvage his ride. What was it 12:30 ... 1AM when we finally made it back to camp??

That engine would DEFFINATELY get lost with the same color has his Jeep.

Frank, remember, GREASE is your friend - use more of it
    And remember the spelling grEAse, not to be confused with gOOse . While he may be a friend, he won't keep your hubs from sparking and melting
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Anyways, love the color!
    [COLOR=#000000]