Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
mild 360 build opinions
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: mild 360 build opinions

mild 360 build opinions

ok, so I just turned over 184k on my Wagoneer 360/727/208. I am in the process of buying a running 360 fron a 79 cherokee. I want to build a mild 360, mild like 200 hp is fine. I am willing to overbuild(spend the extra money) for reliability, but not real interested in big hp, but torque would be nice.

What do the experts here suggest??

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    A lower end camshaft like a Summit K8600, Edelbrock performer. Something with less than .495 lift and less than 230 duration. I would look at simple things like smaller oiling hole rocker arms and some smaller hole cam bearings. You could also think about a performer intake and a 600cfm carb. That with a rebuild should get you gobs of usable torque.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

does the rebuild include the oiling upgrades beyond the cam bearings and rockers listed at this site, or is that not needed for a lo-performance daily driver??

I would venture to say no I dont think you need an extra capacity oil pan but if you start to get crazy it is a good idea. I would also add that if you use the stock pan run it at least 1/2qt over full.
    [COLOR=#000000]

cool, great advise. Thank you.

when I start putting this together I will buy the parts suggested, I hear Bulltear is a good source.........

Thanks again

Thank you from BT Gear Head
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever
    I would venture to say no I dont think you need an extra capacity oil pan but if you start to get crazy it is a good idea. I would also add that if you use the stock pan run it at least 1/2qt over full.
    I agree. Work on improving drainback in the lifter valley.
    In America, there is no natural, moral, or legal right, to obligate another person or persons, to your dept or desires.

so hey, any idea where I might get a good set of reman. heads??

It might be cheaper and since stock is gonna be fine, is this decent option??

exhaust? stock manifolds ok?

carb choices? edelbrock vs holley vs jet prepped q-jet?

I will be upgrading cooling and fuel sysems in the name of reliability, any opinions on electric fan set ups??

man I am full of questions tonite......

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    The following would be my humble opinions.. put a performer manifold on it and a 600 edel electric choke, and a decent set of headers..with the summit cam MC recommended. ANd you will have a nice torqey (sp?) engine that will still get decent fuel mileage.. oh and If you have the bucks upgrade the ignition box with a davis or mallory..

as for electric fans.. I have one on a CJ.. But I put the belt fan back on and use the electric for aux cooling after I burned up a wiring harness on the trail once.. K.I.S.S.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Hate to be the one that always seems to disagree, but unless you are planning on bumping your compression up a bit from stock and/or adding taller gears I would look for a shorter duration cam than the Summit 8600.

Does'nt sound like you are planning for more than 4-4500rpm in a daily driver. Look for an LSA of 112 and a .050 intake duration closer to 204-207 in order to help build cylinder pressure and torque. Intake valve lift much in excess of .450 in stock heads for your application will gain you next to nothing. A Crower 258H Baja Beast or an Engle 35018H comes to mind for good power with stock compression from off idle to 4-4500rpm.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Hate to be the one that always seems to disagree, but unless you are planning on bumping your compression up a bit from stock and/or adding taller gears I would look for a shorter duration cam than the Summit 8600.

Does'nt sound like you are planning for more than 4-4500rpm in a daily driver. Look for an LSA of 112 and a .050 intake duration closer to 204-207 in order to help build cylinder pressure and torque. Intake valve lift much in excess of .450 in stock heads for your application will gain you next to nothing. A Crower 258H Baja Beast or an Engle 35018H comes to mind for good power with stock compression from off idle to 4-4500rpm.
    That is an extremely small camshaft in a AMC 360. From experience the 220-225 duration works extremely well in a AMC V8 above 343CI for low end grunt.
    [COLOR=#000000]