Bulltear Ad
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: mild 360 build opinions

The original poster of this thread is THRILLED to get so much good advise.

Its nice to have people that are willing to chat without a bunch of BS drama. Its all for a silly little ol jeep, well not so little I guess.

anyway, I'll be starting in on this build in about a month. I see a smooth, reliable 300 ish hp 360 gleaming on the horizon.

here's to 200 k more miles of Jeep Lovin............

Quote Originally Posted by 204wagoneer
    The original poster of this thread is THRILLED to get so much good advise.

Its nice to have people that are willing to chat without a bunch of BS drama. Its all for a silly little ol jeep, well not so little I guess.

anyway, I'll be starting in on this build in about a month. I see a smooth, reliable 300 ish hp 360 gleaming on the horizon.

here's to 200 k more miles of Jeep Lovin............

It's always fun. Cam questions always spur debate.

One nice thing about cams, if you don't like the results, try a different one. I'm sure Dusty always has a spare laying around LOL!

Kind of a pain to pull timing covers but the intakes and valve covers come off easy on an AMC. Once you have established a baseline for your setup and gain an understanding of the effects of different cam specs, choosing the second one is usually easier.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Yeah, the worstest part is the timing cover with all the accessories with all their different length bolts and spacers and what have you. Don't know about the intake coming off so easily either. We could have picked up our engine by the intake WITHOUT any of the bolts in it, when we had to pull it. Guess we had it sealed well, ha, ha.

I'm gonna throw our cam specs out one more time for discussion. From what I've been reading, sounds like it should be reasonable. Hard to tell from our first rebuild with the timing gear having been installed wrong and the timing all screwed up though.

Clevite part number 229-1972.
    Advertised duration: 294
    .050 duration: 218/218
    Lift: .488/.488
    Lobe C/L: 110
    Intake lobe center: 105
    Exhaust lobe center: 115
    Intake open @ .050: 4 BTC
    Intake close @ .050: 34 ABC
    Exhaust open @ .050: 44 BBC
    Exhaust close @ .050: 6 BTC

One thing that has me confused though is in that great cam article that 82Waggy put me on to a while back...

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/
    (Scroll down to the article titled "Be The Camshaft Expert")...

they say LCA is the most critical thing in chosing a cam, and show how you calculate what it should be by using engine displacement and intake valve size and a graph they have. According to that, our .040 over 401 should have an LCA of 104 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    One thing that has me confused though is in that great cam article that someone put me on to a while back, they say LCA is the most critical thing in chosing a cam, and show how you calculate what it should be by using engine displacement and intake valve size and a graph they have. According to that, our .040 over 401 should have an LCA of 104 degrees.
    Yup. Keep in mind they were talking about obtaining max peak output, not necessarily a wide torque curve in the lower rpm ranges. Remember also that they were relating this to the intake/exhaust valve overlap phase as the key to making peak power and stated that you only wanted a lot of it if your exhaust system sucked, literally - any restriction/backpressure and you were sunk, due to intake dilution. Short LSA = increased overlap. Might also note that lower duration with higher lift made more total power, and did so at a lower rpm range.
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Well, after looking up that old post, after only 6 edits, ha, ha, I finally managed to give credit to 82Waggy for originally posting the link to that cam article, and actually reposted the link.

I swear, the more I read about cams, the more confused I get.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    I swear, the more I read about cams, the more confused I get.
    Understand. It was my own frustration with seat of the pants recommendations many years ago that lead me to study this stuff for myself. Unfortunately there is a lot of co-mingling of terms (LCA vs LSA for example) and advertising hype that adds to the confusion. Bigger is not always better.

Just use the cam you have to establish a baseline, see if you can determine at what rpm it pulls well for your setup. If you are not satisfied with it, try to apply what you have learned to make a decision on an alternative cam - make changes in small steps.

Hell, I don't expect to hit my choice for a cam dead on the first time either.

The other thing we're going to do, is not count on the machine shop this time, even though this one is supposed to be really good. When we get the engine back, it won't have the timing cover on yet, so I'm planning on taking it down to Fuzz's while it's still in the back of the truck, and degree the cam and double check it for ourselves. He's got all the tools to do it. (We just didn't tell Fuzz yet, ha, ha, so don't let it slip. We're gonna surprise him some night that Mrs. Fuzz is having something good for supper!)

We have all kinds of adjustability with the Rollmaster timing set. I have a pretty good idea of what changing the intake events does, but not such a good feel for what changes to the exhaust events that have to follow along will do. But...I don't want to be hyjacking the thread here.