Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another cam ? but this one is for my specific 401 build.

Another cam ? but this one is for my specific 401 build.

I've been reading about motor build ups and discovered picking the right cam is best done by experience and matching it to vehicle specifics. I definitely need some experienced help.
    Here is the whole story. I have a tired 360 block with a weak cylinder and low oil pressure. It has rebuilt stock 58cc heads, an HEI distributor and an Edelbrock performance package, i.e. 600cfm carb, performer intake, cam, lifters and timing chain set. Also stock exhaust manifolds with 2 1/4" to 3" single exhaust pipe and turbo muffler. All with about 1500 miles. I'd like to swap the above items to a 401 short block that I'm going to have rebuilt. Looks like it will have a .030 overbore with stock 8.5/1 cast pistons.
    I've been reading the Edelbrock cam isn't the way to go. What cam is going to give me the best broad power ban from say, 1500 to 4500 RPM's? I'm hoping to just change the cam.
    Related specifics. This motor is for my '55 Willys 4x4 wagon which will be doing some 3500 lb. towing and has a T-18 4 spd. with 6.34 1st., 4.10 gears and 33" tires. I like to crawl around at less than 2000 rpm's site seeing off-road. But still need to tow a small trailer or my CJ3a from time to time to distance states at about 3,000 RPM's and 65 mph.

Engle 5052-H
    112LSA
    254,254@.006
    209,209@.050
    488,488Lift
    30 Overlap
    1000 - 4500rpm

A single pattern cam with fast ramps that take advantage of the large AMC lifters. Should help build cylinder pressure on 8.5:cr for better torque and give you a good curve. Also has conservative overlap for use with stock exhaust. I would expect peak torque to occur at 3000-3500rpm but the curve should be relatively flat to past 4000rpm with strong off idle response. Should match up great with your intake, carb, and exhaust.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Along the same lines, I picked up a 401 yesterday and this thing looks absolutely mint! I am planning on swapping on a set on 291C heads that have been completely rebuilt, ported, polished gasket matched (intake and exhaust) along with my R4B and 650 AVS Edy. I was thinking of putting in a Summit 8600 cam I have lying around and would like your feedback. Since I'm bumping the compression up a bit it should be OK no?

Here we go again. MC, Dusty!!!! LOL!

The 8600 seems to have satisfied many a user. Just make sure your gearing and tire size result in a compatible rpm range.

Oh, and a free flowing exhaust is probably a must with this one due to its' extended overlap range.
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

T18 tranny with granny low, 321 t-case (until it blows up), Dana 60 HD rear with Detroit and 4.10 gears, 35" boggers on bead locks.
    Also full dual 2.5" exhasut

Here's a calculator that lets you choose various trannies and txfr cases, rear end ratios, tire sizes, etc.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Figure out what your rpm range is, be honest with yourself about what speeds you actually drive and the resulting rpm range, and see if it falls into the range the cam is designed for. I think you will find that the resulting rpm at 60mph in top gear is generally what should fall smack in the middle of the cams recommended rpm range.

MC and others have direct experience with this cam and can tell you better than I where it pulls well.

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Engle 5052-H
    112LSA
    254,254@.006
    209,209@.050
    488,488Lift
    30 Overlap
    1000 - 4500rpm

A single pattern cam with fast ramps that take advantage of the large AMC lifters. Should help build cylinder pressure on 8.5:cr for better torque and give you a good curve. Also has conservative overlap for use with stock exhaust. I would expect peak torque to occur at 3000-3500rpm but the curve should be relatively flat to past 4000rpm with strong off idle response. Should match up great with your intake, carb, and exhaust.
    thanks for the advice. Have you personal real world experience with this cam?

Quote Originally Posted by willysworker
    Engle 5052-H
    112LSA
    254,254@.006
    209,209@.050
    488,488Lift
    30 Overlap
    1000 - 4500rpm

Not specifically. I do have considerable experience with cams in general as they are applied to various compression ratios and gearing. I have been leaning towards Engle cams lately as they have grinds specifically designed to take advantage of the large AMC lifter, whereas many others are simply applying chevy grinds to an AMC cam core.

I recommended that one to you because it will help build torque in a stock CR engine by closing the intake valve a little earlier, and won't suffer too much from intake dilution during the int/exh valve overlap period in your rpm range when using a stock exhaust system. It is intended to make power in the rpm range you described. I doubt you could do much better but might bias some characteristics a bit one way or the other (but that would really be splitting hairs).

Quote Originally Posted by willysworker
    Engle 5052-H
    112LSA
    254,254@.006
    209,209@.050
    488,488Lift
    30 Overlap
    1000 - 4500rpm

Not specifically. I do have considerable experience with cams in general as they are applied to various compression ratios and gearing. I have been leaning towards Engle cams lately as they have grinds specifically designed to take advantage of the large AMC lifter, whereas many others are simply applying chevy grinds to an AMC cam core.

I recommended that one to you because it will help build torque in a stock CR engine by closing the intake valve a little earlier, and won't suffer too much from intake dilution during the int/exh valve overlap period in your rpm range when using a stock exhaust system. It is intended to make power in the rpm range you described. I doubt you could do much better but might bias some characteristics a bit one way or the other (but that would really be splitting hairs).
    You write cam speak very convincingly Sir, I just wish you or someone had some seat time or better yet a dyno print out to back up the theory part of all this. Where is it you've gotten your considerable experience if you don't mind me asking. It's very interesting to find the differing opinions between you and jeeps4ever. I really have to take note of his stated 100 AMC motor builds, of which 25 were for personal use. It's from the mild 360 build options thread you and he responded too. It seems it all comes down to your, should match up great verses jeeps4ever's Summit 8600, does work well. However, I'm not convinced either way yet. An open mind is a frustrating thing at times. thanks for you posting.

Thanks. Built my share of motors back in the day. I suppose my advice is worth no more than you paid for it - take it or leave it.

360's and 401's won't react equally to the same cam, and no one cam is appropriate for each gear set.

PS: Since you want to see a Dyno sheet, check out donwags 401 build, in the general chat section I think. He used a Comp XE256 cam that MC does not like, yet it makes over 400ft lbs from 2000-4400 rpm. So I guess there are those that like imperical evidence and others that like seat of the pants experience. Pays your nickle and takes your chances.