Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Another cam ? but this one is for my specific 401 build. - Page 5
Bulltear Ad
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another cam ? but this one is for my specific 401 build.

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    IMO 9:1 CR is just right for the 5054H, and happens to be the cam I am going to use first in my 9:1CR 401 build. Assuming I have done my homework correctly, I hope to have hit the cam choice right the first time.
    Thanks again 82Waggy for sharing your knowledge.

So when are you firing up that 401? Do you have the Edelbrock MPFI setup in it?
    - Pablo

1981 CJ-7 Laredo 360 V8 - Edelbrock EFI & Heads
    1995 YJ Sahara

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    Here is a repost of something i posted from the thread "Mild 360 build" that is about 8 below this one on the engine forum, you might want to check it out too there was alot of good cam and engine comparisons.
    Thanks Dusty for the heads up. I am trying to make up my mind about the choice of cam for my 360.... Since I don't have much knowledge on the subject I am trying to get the most info and learn a bit.
    - Pablo

1995 YJ Sahara

Quote Originally Posted by pablorg
    Thanks again 82Waggy for sharing your knowledge.

So when are you firing up that 401? Do you have the Edelbrock MPFI setup in it?
    Sometime this summer, and Yes, I am using the Edelbrock MPEFI.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by pablorg

Thanks Dusty for the heads up. I am trying to make up my mind about the choice of cam for my 360.... Since I don't have much knowledge on the subject I am trying to get the most info and learn a bit.
    Keep in mind that a given cam will act larger in a 360 than it does a 401 due to the difference in valve to displacement ratio and piston dwell time. For example, due to the longer stroke of the 401 it takes more crank degrees of rotation to get the piston moving up off of BDC than it does in a 360, so a 401 can stand to have the intake valve close a little later and still make similar cylinder pressure (assuming static CR is the same). Both engines also use the same intake valve size (if stock anyway), so a 360 will fill cylinders quicker and does not therefore need quite the same overlap to get the job done as the 401. But now we are getting to deep in all of this.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Keep in mind that a given cam will act larger in a 360 than it does a 401 due to the difference in valve to displacement ratio and piston dwell time. For example, due to the longer stroke of the 401 it takes more crank degrees of rotation to get the piston moving up off of BDC than it does in a 360, so a 401 can stand to have the intake valve close a little later and still make similar cylinder pressure (assuming static CR is the same). Both engines also use the same intake valve size (if stock anyway), so a 360 will fill cylinders quicker and does not therefore need quite the same overlap to get the job done as the 401. But now we are getting to deep in all of this.
    That makes sense. As a side note, I wonder if the difference in weight of your Wagoneer and my CJ-7 would make up for the difference from a 401 and a 360... If so I can guess my outcome when you try the cam in your Waggy this summer
    - Pablo

1995 YJ Sahara

Helpfull BT forum member Swabie
    Quote Originally Posted by willysworker
    I'm waiting for the Engle tech Dept. to reply to my email. The 5052-H looks like the cam I'm going with. Thanks again for everyones input. Special thanks to 82waggy, I never would have looked at an Engle cam. When I get this thing back on the road, I'll give an up-date with my seat of the pants report. Over-n-out
    Well hows that cam working out?