Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Another cam ? but this one is for my specific 401 build. - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another cam ? but this one is for my specific 401 build.

Quote Originally Posted by willysworker
    sorry, waggy didn't mean to imply your input was of less value than seat of the pants impressions. Just that the 8600 group does have a bigger voice. Really nothing personal, more about numbers of people, an experiences with AMC.

But if the two cams are really only a few HP and foot pounds apart then I have another value to weigh in. I have just found info about some manufacturing problems the 8600 might have, lobes flatting in 5,000 miles or less. That's a deal breaker, why would I even consider such a cam. Engle's cam is twice the price ($160) but maybe well worth it. I already spent $85 buck on the Edelbrock junk. Summit 8600 doesn't sound like what I want in my motor. Funny quality wasn't mentioned before. So thanks 82 waggy, I think you have shone me a winner with this cam. I've emailed Engle to get their final input. By the way, know of a cheaper place to get this cam?

Like I said the 8600 is better than stock, so many would naturally think it was fine, which it is for some things. I have heard of the quality issues before, but have also heard that they had gotten better.

Problem with a lot of the "rumours" is that there are many, MANY, installation variables that could have caused cam failure, or one persons better impressions than another of the relative power made with a given set of cam specs.

All I or any one else can really do is stear you in the general direction. There simply is no one "best cam" for any engine.

I don't have an alternative source for Engle.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    9.8:1 trw pistons with 34 to35 b"* total advance on a 3601 with either a 3601 with a 750 or a 3601 with a 3601 on a 770 both with berformer (-8better bvottom end /)O or a ( airgap on a 770 or 750 ) have workewr well from bottom to top.

on a 401 a little too much for a 360 but a stock compression 401 401 its stiull a ddecet cam but compression helps.]

dd
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty
    9.8:1 trw pistons with 34 to35 b"* total advance on a 3601 with either a 3601 with a 750 or a 3601 with a 3601 on a 770 both with berformer (-8better bvottom end /)O or a ( airgap on a 770 or 750 ) have workewr well from bottom to top.

on a 401 a little too much for a 360 but a stock compression 401 401 its stiull a ddecet cam but compression helps.]

dd
    Must have had a big night out on the town LOL!
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Quote Originally Posted by willysworker
    But if the two cams are really only a few HP and foot pounds apart then I have another value to weigh in.
    The point is that they could be miles apart depending upon rpm range and loading.

Keep in mind you specified that this was for your Willy's Wagon (a relatively heavy vehicle), that you were using stock exhaust manifolds with a single pipe (a relatively restrictive exhaust system), specific gearing and tire size, and you want to tow a 3500 pound load at 3000rpm, as well you want to grunt around on the trail at 2000rpm. Under those constraints you do not want to run a lot of overlap or it will bog down and lose power. The 8600 has an overlap of 53degrees - the 5052 has an overlap of 30degrees.

Contrary to popular belief, duration is not the issue for building power.

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy

Must have had a big night out on the town LOL!
    Dude you aint kidding it was a train wreck last night
    IF washington wont quit spending money like mad men then i suggest we claim 9 deductions in 2010 and withold or taxes till the final dead line of 4/15/2011.

CJ7 AMC401 http://www.fordification.com/images/forum/bug.gif

"May God have mercy on my enemies, because I WON'T!!" -General George Patton
    Member #377

Been playing around with the calculator 82 waggy posted. That's a very good one! A keeper, thanks waggy. Never seen one that has all the transmission and transfer-case's covered. My T-18a and D20 w/ 3.15 terra low gears even. Waggy FYI, My Willys weighs 4200 lbs.(2200/2000)with 40 gals. of gas(a Wagoneer weighs 4600). It has a 86/1 crawl ratio. With me, the wife and a couple hundred pounds of camping gear, not heavy at all. On the highway, the grunt of the 401 should keep me in 4th gear most of the time, even towing. Looks like 3rd gear at 55 is 3880 rpm's and should be good for pulling grades. 4th gear at 60 mph/2500rpm will be do-able on the long flats. The Willys body style does not do high speeds very well. A 4500 rpm limit is more than enough. I keep hearing the 401(2.25") exhaust manifolds flow quite well, and my exhaust has all mandrel bent tubing and a big open muffler. I think this package will be fine.
    I'm waiting for the Engle tech Dept. to reply to my email. The 5052-H looks like the cam I'm going with. Thanks again for everyones input. Special thanks to 82waggy, I never would have looked at an Engle cam. When I get this thing back on the road, I'll give an up-date with my seat of the pants report. Over-n-out

Cool.

I guess I should stop talking in relative terms. When I was reffering to the weight of your vehicle, I was thinking relative to a race car that would rev up quickly and not load the engine down too much - most of what we have been talking about are relatively heavy vehicles, especially when towing a trailer or climbing a mountain trail.

Same issue regarding exhaust - relative to headers or a race car with no mufflers, our exhaust systems are more restrictive.

just got off the phone with Chris at Engle Racing cams in Cali. Nice guy. He said the 5052-H was taylored specily for big lifter AMC's, and 1000 to 4500 rpm's. He grinds to order and I'll have it in about a week. Sweet. Later

Can't wait to hear how your wife had to pry you off the seat after you get on it the first time.

Cheers!!!

Helpfull BT forum member Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by 82Waggy
    Like I said the 8600 is better than stock...
    82Waggy, how does the Summit 8600 compare to the Edelbrock Performer Plus cam?

What would you recommend for my 1981 CJ-7, 3.54 gears, T-176, 32" tires, AMC 360 V8 with Edelbrock EFI, Aluminium Heads and Shorty Headers.... ??

I want to make better power at higher RPMs than what I currently make with the Edelbrock Performer Plus. But I also want a decent low end torque... Is this asking for too much??

Thanks a lot!
    - Pablo

1981 CJ-7 Laredo 360 V8 - Edelbrock EFI & Heads
    1995 YJ Sahara