Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Question on 401 just picked up
Bulltear Ad

Thread: Question on 401 just picked up

Question on 401 just picked up

Picked up this 401 over the weekend and I have questions on some markings that it has. On the front of the block just above the timing cover (barelly visible) it has stamped on the block "*gaging*4580" anybody know what this means???

It also has a little round thing stamped on the block and it says "warranty void if removed"? Dont know what to make of it because the pistons say "std" on them so I dont think it was rebuilt.

I've heard that some shops put little heat sensors on engines when they rebuild them. If you over heat the engine, they can tell by looking at them. I thought they were put on the freeze plugs, but have never actually seen one.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Usually those little round buttons are an over temperature indicator put on by engine rebuilders. I don't think they come from the factory with them. It's a way of the rebuilder to know if you over heated your engine (it melts at a certain temp) that way you can't claim warrantee.

EDIT: Damn! You beat me to it

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Time to void the warranty and remove that sucker

We use little round discs like that on rotating machinery to mount vibration sensors though ....
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thanks, looks like the engine was rebuilt but honed only not bored. Also the cam has #2491 stamped at the flywheel end, cant find any manufacturer name. Anybody know what this is? i assume its a replacement OEM grind?

Also what would you guys think if I used the 401 cam in a 360? Its rebuilt with about 5000 miles on it, new heads roller rockers, performer intake and 650 Edy. I saw on American Motors Forum that the 401 cam has a little more lift and duration then the 360 cam.
    304/360 Cam lobe lift .266"
    401 .286"

304/360 intake duration 263.5
    401 296.32

304/360 exhaust duration 263.5
    401 303.55

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The tag and stamping probably indicate that the motor was remanufactured at a larger shop at some time. The tag is exactly what was mentioned above, and the stamping so the shop could ID the motor in case of warranty return.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford