Bulltear Ad

Thread: Federal Mogul Main bearings

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head

Federal Mogul Main bearings

Well there is another choice for the 390-401 , part number 5037M although they are a full groove bearing. Again another big company shortcuts the AMC although they do make high performance bearings for all the other brands of engines SBC/BBC/BBMopar/Ford.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...M&autoview=sku

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

I'd be willing to bet these are not full groove bearings.

Ordered a set of FM's for a buddy's 351C from Summit that were supposed to be full groove but they came in as standard half groove bearings.

Called Summit and they said their web site was wrong.

Funny how so many stock engines seem to have been equipped with full groove bearings but now you can't get them anymore.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

I had heard that Federal-Mogul rod bearings had the oil squirter holes in them. I just got off the phone with their tech line trying to verify this. They said they don't even offer bearings for a 73 AMC 401 any more!

While on hold, I heard something more interesting than the usual elevator music. A recording was saying a lot of manufacturers are using aluminum bearings in the newer engines. It went on to say Sealed Power, a Federal-Mogul subdidiary, sells the aluminum bearings. Now, whether for our engines or not is the next question.