Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Crush sleeve eliminator
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crush sleeve eliminator

Crush sleeve eliminator

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556054

Since a 8.8 uses the same sleeve as a AMC20.......you "should" be able to use the eliminator for an 8.8 rear......right? I ordered one from Jegs the other day and it should be here this afternoon. Ima have to letcha guys know wut happens.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Sounds like a great idea for those who are going to go through yokes.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

It works!!! Did'nt use any shim with it......measured the new spacer compared to the old sleeve and was damn close to being same height.....put her in and got 18-20 in. lbs out of her!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Sweet-- thanks for the info!!! =D>

Does anybody know of a fix to remove the Dana 30's crush sleeve??....pinion bearings have slop maybe 4,000 miles and im thinking that all i paid this guy to do was screw everything up Guess im going to be setting up my out axles now

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The Dana 30 is done with shims, there is no crush sleeve. If there's slop after 4K, either it was put together wrong or a bearing is failing.

Unfortunately, to reset the pinion bearing preload, the carrier has to be out. You can do it without affecting the gear setup as long as the bearings are good. The shims are under the yoke end pinion bearing, you would have to remove the seal and outer bearing.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    The Dana 30 is done with shims, there is no crush sleeve.
    The short pinion Dana 30's in the TJ's and Zj's DO indeed have a crush sleeve!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I haven't worked on a short pinion version. Thanks for the heads up. Why do they mess with a design that works, other than a crush sleeve is faster to assemble at the factory?

76-cj7's sig line says he has a 1980 CJ. That would have no crush sleeve.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bob you are correct...plain jane low pinion dana 30......i had thought there was a crush sleeve but i guess not.....well all i know for sure is the "mechanic" i paid to set up front and rear r&p said he knew what he was doing or so i thunk. Apparently my axles are the only ones hes ever had problems with hahaha but i do plan on tearing into it within the next few months so if anybody has any tips or head ups feel free to send them my way

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    Why do they mess with a design that works, other than a crush sleeve is faster to assemble at the factory?

Bob
    tufcj

Apparently, that is the only reason for it-- speed of inital assembly.