Thread: FENDERWELL HEADERS

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

FENDERWELL HEADERS

WHAT'S THE DOWN SIDE TO RUNNING FENDERWELL HEADERS IN A CJ 7?
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

HOT floorboards.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    The collectors are right behind the front wheels. They pick up all the spray, and rust out quick, unless you pop for a ceramic coat or similar. With flexy suspension and 35" tires, my tires rubbed the headers.

There's also the fact that the mufflers are exposed to everything, and you can burn yourself on them. I crushed several mufflers on the rocks. There's very few ways to route an exhaust, so it usually has to dump in front of the rear wheel. It can get loud, and you can always smell exhaust when the top is off.

I went from fenderwell headers to factory manifolds and a 3" full single exhaust (smog rules). I feel a little better low end torque, and it only drops off over 5000 RPM (and then only slightly), and I seldom rev it that high.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Grease Monkey
    Has anyone ran in frame headers with the T-400 and quadra, I have been told you cant do it, atleast when looking up headers. I would love to get rid of my fenderwells.
    "The Dalli Lama has granted me total conciosness upon my death bed, Sooo I got that going for me, Which is nice."
    -Carl Spackler

I'm on my 2nd set of fenderwell headers and when these die i want to go to stock manifolds and a single, large exhaust. Just tired of the noise, heat and smashing them on rocks.

Thank you from BT Senior Wrench of the forum
    I have run Hedman In-Frame Headers with a 401 and Q-Trac with no problems. While I wasn't happy with the quality of the headers, they DID fit!

Ultimately though, I went back to stock manifolds as (and I should have known this from many, many past experiences with headers) they always leaked...

Just my two-cent's worth!

IMHO.......fenderwells suck ASS! Got some Edelbrock shortys but i havent gotten the chance to drive it yet.....so i dunno itf they was worth the 316 bucks or whatever they cost....but i like the flange.....think as all hell!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    Thanks Bob for the VOTE button (more people should use it Actually it should be in the HEADER!!!! ) and thanks for the exhaust header info - I haven't had a chance to run mine for very long yet
    Stuck some in frame Headmans under there. And while it sounds cool (and pisses off the neighbors) with no pipes - I can't keep that up

And you can click ANY VOTE BUTTON in this post to VOTE for Bulltear

'Rat . . . stuck in FL VOTING every day while away from my Jeep - until August
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE