Thread: Exhaust???

Exhaust???

I've got a 80 CJ-5 with a .060 over 304, T-18 and D20 t-case and blah blah blah.....but lets get to the point.....going to get an exhaust put on her in bout a week and tryin to decide on type of muffler to pick.....i've got edelbrock shorty headers on there now and i was wanting to put dual 2 1/2" out the back between the springs and tires at a 45 degree angle so to speak.....but i want something that'll bust your ear drums when wide open . I dont know what to pick???? i had a CJ-7 with a 360 and dual cherry bombs and it sounded pretty good and fairly loud......but i also like the sound of flowmasters .......cant decide so help me out fellas!!! Thanks for any input!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Straight pipes off the headers! If you want legal, check the restrictions for your state. I think in some states, other than noise violations, you might be able to use a spark arrestor instead of a muffler. I'd verify that first though.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I've got a pair of 2 1/2" MagnaFlow mufflers on my AMX and a Single 3" on my CJ. I like the sound. Quiet enough at steady speed that you can listen to the radio, nice growl when you put your foot in it. I love the note on the CJ when it runs about 3000 RPM on the highway.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    got dual 2.5's and glasspacks. sounds good and is reasonably quiet while cruising but gets pretty mean at WOT

As far as restrictions go......cops can kiss my ass! haha But the MagnaFlow has crossed through my mind but what kind of price ranges and do they have different types like Flowmasters have series???
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    Take a look at the hooker aero chamber mufflers. I have them on my x with super comp headers, and 2 1/2" pipe. They're quiest when at idle, but bark like a big dog when on the gas.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Hey BREK....i've had another guy tell me about them......about how much you think they'd run for 2 1/2" in and out???

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    If I recall correctly I believe summit or jegs sells them for around the $70 ea range.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON