Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear disc brakes

Rear disc brakes

Got's an 80 CJ-5 came with manual brakes, front disc and rear drum. Switched to rear SSBC disc's and now i cant get any pedal pressure???? And it's also a brand new master cylinder.....none of that rebuilt crap Auto Doom sells. Tried to tear apart Proportioning valve.....yea i might as well be looking inside a computer......i have no idea what to remove as some people say??? So anyways I got to reading......yes i know guys... it's a scary thought and all, but me??? read??? haha But i kinda came upon the conclusion that i mite need a master cylinder made for FRT and Rear discs. A 68' vette MC came up alot but i figured i might need to get ahold of one of them and a proportioning valve from a CJ with FRT and Rear drums for a 50/50 split i hear so much of.......SO guys and gals.......wudda ya all think bout it?
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    Disc brakes need a lot more volume than drums, so a MC built for 4 wheel discs will help. Your best bet is to go to power brakes. The booster will go a long way to make the vehicle stop better.

I've been looking at the setup from www.mpbrakes.com

My 77 CJ was factory power disc/drum. I put on rear discs, and after some aggravation with getting them bled completely, they work great with all the stock parts in place. The only time I get any rear lock-up is under hard braking on icy roads.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

So how did you go about bleeding them??? I've got the same as you except manual brakes but they are way too soft and go way to the floor......the reason i like the manual is that i could lock up my 35" baja claws like nothing but yet my other two jeeps i had both with power brakes couldn't lock up my 36's let alone the bald ass 33's i had on the one!!! Plus manual is kinda nice just in case she stalls on a climb....
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    On mine, I had to rotate the rear pinion up about 12 degrees because I run SOA + 2" lift and a CV driveshaft. The way the caliper brackets mount, the bleeders weren't directly on top. I had to take the calipers off, and put a block of wood between the pads, and hold them during bleeding. It also helped to tap the caliper (lightly) with a small hammer to free up any hanging air bubbles.

If you're running e-brake calipers, it's important that the e-brake part is adjusted properly. If that's not adjusted so it holds, then the normal brakes will never work properly.

I rebuilt the rear lines on my CJ. I removed the line across the axle and the rubber hose. I installed a "T" there, and ran lines along the frame rail. I drop flex lines from the frame in the rear just like in the front (I used the same brackets as the front, salvaged from a junkyard). It keeps everything up out of harm's way. I also have DOT approved braided lines instead of rubber. They really firm up the feel of the pedal.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Hmmmm......my bleeders are somewhat pointing up....but ima have to try taking em off. But the e-brake is adjusted right.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I have 4 wheel disc brakes on my 79 cj5. I used a dual diaphram master booster off an 84 S-10 mounted on my stock jeep power brake brackets (Had to slot holes a little. About 3/8 of an inch). Used a master cylinder off of a ws6 79 Trans Am. Porportioning valve off a 79 Cadilac with 4 wheel disc brakes(Pull a part junk yard $6.00). Rear callipers from a 79 Caddy. Jeep has a 401 with pretty big cam(not much vaccum) but will stop on a dime. Oh yeah on more thing...I made an adjustable input rod from the brake pedal to the master cylinder. Works great!

Ok....i think i figured it out. I got a MC from a 68' vette and i need to find a valve from a older jeep w/4 wheel drums. I want the valve from a Jeep so i wont have to reflare the lines and it'll be a direct swap. The MC has the same bolt up and same size lines so that is a direct swap and i think my push rod is already an adjustable one??

I don't remember what MC I used I know I looked at the bore size. I can see about some #.

Jerry

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    The 1979 WS6 Trans Am had 4 wheel disc brakes. I cant remember the bore size of the master cylindre(I think it was 1 inch). I used all new stainless steel brake lines for a power brake CJ and they all fit the Caddy proportioning valve and T/A MC without cutting or reflaring.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    ... and put a block of wood between the legs, and hold them during bleeding. It also helped to tap lightly with a small hammer...
    Anybody tell you recently your a sick man???

Hi Bob
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE