Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New Project........... Midplate - Page 3
Bulltear Ad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Project........... Midplate

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by radamx
    I would open the hole in the center so you can get your flywheel through it so you can pull the engine without pulling the trans.

DuH now you tell me

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by radamx
    In my car and most cars I have seen with engine plates you can not pull the engine with the mid plate attached so you have to be able to get the flywheel through the mid plate.
    or pull the trans and remove the flywheel.
    Rethinking this, you are right. The flywheel/flex plate won't fit thru the hole in the OEM one. The OEM plate comes out along with the engine when you pull the engine. With a midplate that is attached to the frame, that can't happen. Sorry, my mistake.

So to bring this thread back from the dead and update.....
    Rad had a neat plate idea and I'm going to intergrate it in the second plate.

On of the things you get to do again, is when the thickness of the Mondello flywheel wasn't figured in during the mockup stage.
    OOOOOOpps

One thing I never gave a thought to was the Mondello flywheel/Torque Converter verses the stock flexplate/torque converter overall length.

I thought that with the increased thickness (3/16") of the engine midplate shown above the TC/Flywheel clearance would be enough well it wasn't.

So I'm going to make a second plate out of the same material and make the center hole diameter big enough to get the Torque Converter/flywheel out and still keep the original plate with the engine.

Actually this will be a strong sucker being a final sandwiched thickness of 3/8" thick.

And I had to move the engine foward 1/4" as I couldn't move the tranny/transfercase back as my four link mount is 1/8" from the rear of the transfercase.

Good thing the MORE engine mounts can be easily modified.

(BTW some of you may notice the right side of the frame mount has been severly modified, thats to make room/area for the "secret project" Correct MC????)

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

And finally the rear tranny mount has been fit, adjusted and final welded.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    I have a mondello flex plate also and with a 1/4 inch mid plate and no factory plate the convertor sets just right.