Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
oil pressure???? - Page 2
Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oil pressure????

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    Are you using a old timing cover or a new one? sounds like you may have excessive clearance in your oil pump.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

it is an old timing cover............what exactly should i buy for the oil pump.....i do know that when i put the gears in for the pump and put the plate on...you could see where the gears rode on the plate but it didnt seem to bad.........

Sounds like you need a basic oil pump/timing cover to fix your pressure woes.
    [COLOR=#000000]

what role does the timing cover have in the oil pressure...?????i know the pump gears ride inside of it but other then that what goes bad in them......?????

The inside walls that the pump gear wipe past get worn or scored, opening up gear clearance and reducing pump efficiency.

Gear end clearance is also critical to pump performance.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

What happens is that the pump cavity itself wears out. It is made from a high silicone aluminum that can wear rapidly due to the oil getting to the pump before it gets to the oil filter. This is the basic issue with these AMC pumps. We are battling this issue with a ceramic coated oil pump housing (thats in the future here) and with our nickel plated oil pump housings. the Ni helps out alot and we are making our own pump using a removable pump as an update to the nickel unit however it is many months away. When you take your oil filter adaptor off check the see how far the edge of the gear is from the pump cavity wall. Using a spark plug shim set you shouldnt be more than .005". If you have greater clearance than that you should look to a new or used pump housing.
    [COLOR=#000000]

yay...i found my problem......the small oil gear was in the pump upside down.....gonna put it all back together today and hopefully that should solve my problem...........

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    upside down?
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Quote Originally Posted by mike4089
    yay...i found my problem......the small oil gear was in the pump upside down.....gonna put it all back together today and hopefully that should solve my problem...........
    Don't think there is a difference, unless your original gear is worn on one end.

You mentioned you could see where the gears rode on the cover plate. Assuming you mean the oil filter adapter, you should use a honing stone to smooth the surface the gears ride on, or better yet, install the stainless mid plate that Bulltear sells (smooth the filter adapter in this case too for a good gasket sealing surface).

Since you are seeing this kind of wear, chances are your gear end clearance is loose. If you can see wear on the end of the gears, either change them out or clean them up and set up proper end clearance. If the timing cover cavity walls are worn, you need a new timing cover.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

the timing cover housing was in really good shape....there wasnt any wear or movement on the gears....the adapter plate had some scoring on it but its not really all that bad.....the oil gears have the two dots on them that are suppossed to be together....one gear was upside down im guessing the dots are there to for a reason....we will find out when i put it all back together i guess..........