Thread: Eldorado caliper adjustement

Eldorado caliper adjustement

So I got myself a Dana60HD narrowed to 61” detroit, 4.10’s, Moser 35 spline Chromo shafts but no brakes. So I proceeded to find some Eldorado calipers locally, welded on some caliper plates, bolted the calipers & bled the lines. The vehicle is a 89 Wrangler with OEM brake booster and proportioning valve. Now after bleeding the lines I can’t seem to get the calipers to adjust. I pumped the parking brake lever to no avail. I have to pump the brakes 5 times to get the calipers to clamp, once I release the pedal 10 seconds later they spread back apart. Am I missing something here? What am I doing wrong?

https://www.mpbrakes.com/uploads/doc...rearadjust.pdf

Copied from mp brakes.

Rear caliper problem
    If you are using Cadillac ElDorado rear calipers there are some important things you should know. One of the biggest advantages of a disc brake system is the fool proof self adjuster. Not so with this rear GM system. The rear calipers adjust off the parking brake. The parking brake is incorporated into the caliper. You must set the parking brake every time you park the car.The rear caliper pitons utilize a one way clutch inside the caliper piston. When the parking brake is applied the clutch senses when there is .030" or more clearence between the friction material and the rotor on the inboard side. When there is more than .030" the clutch turns inside the piston adjusting it out keeping the rear brakes adjusted. If you do not set your parking brake every time you will start to lose brake pedal (low and spongy) and the adjuster mechanism will not work any longer. Also: never use rebuilt calipers on the rear because the rebuilders use the old pistons and the pistons were the reason the caliper failed in the first place.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

brakes

Not to sure about this but don,t rear disc brakes need a valve that holds a bit of pressure in the line?

residual pressure valves

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-...-RPV/index.asp
    This link will explain it a bit. You can just type in residual pressure valves and your search engine will take you there.

Well this was a backwards way of doing it but I ended up welding a 1/4" piece of plate to the back of the inside caliper in order to get the adjustment required. Still have to go out and drive it but it seems to have done the trick!