Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Edelbrock Casting Sand
Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edelbrock Casting Sand

Edelbrock Casting Sand

Look what I found still inside an intake port of my brand new Edelbrock MPEFI manifold.

Can you beleive that!

Clogged completely for a couple of inches.

Comes out easy enough.

Moral: CLEAN EVERYTHING!
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    thought they were supposed to check everything and remove any casting flash in the ports! You figure they may notice a half pound of sand i there . Good thing you looked most guys would have bolted it on and fed their new motor a good serving of "Break In Compound" to help the rings seat.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    NO DOUBT
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

You did send those pics to Edelbrock I hope. I'd be all over them. You'd better believe I'm going to be checking our Performer intake manifold we got from them before we put it on rebuild number 2.

I did send notice to Edelbrock - no reply yet but this is the first workday since sent.

I have fiddled with this thing for several months and never noticed the sand until yesterday when I set it on top of my shortblock for some oogling and then flipped it over on the bench to install the PCV baffle. A couple of taps on the drive rivets and, hey, whats that crap falling out?

Luckily the sand did not dump into my freshly assembled shortblock!

PS: Here's the automated reply from Edel. Guess they have not seen the pics yet.

[Dear Enthusiast:

Thank you for contacting Edelbrock. Your email is currently being processed, and will be answered by one of the most comprehensive Technical Departments in the Automotive Industry. Your email will be answered in the order it was received. If you need immediate attention, you may call our tech line @ 800-416-8628, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm PST, Monday through Friday. For Motorcycle Carburetor inquiries, please call 877-888-7504, 8:00am to 5:00pm PST, Monday through Friday.

Any attachments received without prior authorization will be automatically deleted.

Thank you for your interest in Edelbrock Products. We look forward to assisting you.

Edelbrock Technical Department]
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Just seen the same thing with a efi intake for a chevy LS-2 it was a weiand.
    Quality went out the window a long time ago.
    That is why the engine builder is responsible for everything.
    if the part don't fit he has to make it fit.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I've heard from a couple of guys that they knocked casting sand out of the water passages of the aluminum heads.

I would think Q.C. would be better. They should catch that kind of thing during inspection.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    That probably added a few dollars to the shipping also , it's a good thing you caught it before assembly.
    he who dies with the most toys wins!!!
    69' amx 390 4 speed best et 11.85 @ 116mph
    VOTEBUTTON

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I bet diagnosing that "dead hole" would have driven you nuts....till the casting sand broke loose and "scuffed the bore" for you..

Many Many years ago I did something similar but my own fault. I shoved shop rags into the runners of an aluminum tunnel ram so I could bead blast the out side of it.. well long story short I missed one of the rags..It ran like crap for a few minutes ... then started spitting little red threads out the collectors..

It didnt hurt anything, I guess those Manly stainless valves really are tough.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.