Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knock sensor !!

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I am guessing this is either a fuel issue or something like the O2 sensor.. the difference in power is the giveaway.. I travel from 5280 ft to 9300 ft elevation every day. and when the power is down you can tell..
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

'69 AMX 12.60@107 - Ohio, unfortunately (:-P)
    As I understand the O2 sensor is the primary fuel mixture "determiner" and they can be "sensitive" to carbon build up. They only function in a narrow temperature range and have to heat up to like 700 or 800 degrees before they even start working. When started up cold, the ECU runs on a pre-determined fuel curve until the O2 heats up and kicks in. They can be checked with a multimeter for proper function I think but sometimes they're only like $30 or so, but they can also be pretty pricey. Saw a local ad where they were on sale at PepBoys.

yea this thing is wierd.. I wouldnt have thought being built in/for Canada would make it that different.. but this truck has day time running lights.. as well as the wierd engine controls.

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I'm not sure how yours would be set up, but some of this new junk does not compensate as you go up in elevation while driving, some of them need a restart at your new elevation, I think this is mostly on fords but being here in the flatlands that is something I don't deal with.
    parting several FSJ'S

Well to complete the saga, I began a scientific diagnoses of the problem (translation after 3 beers and about an hour staring at it like a chimp studying the space shuttle I unplugged, wiggled and replugged every sensorish looking device..) and presto.. no more pinging.. hows that for dumb luck..

Dirty Harry.

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    Thats the only true way to diagnose a problem Usually seems to satisfy curiosity and it only cost you a few beers which never hurt anyone anyway.

Well It just shows the old Computer advice is always best.. Reboot it!

Dirty Harry.