Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
Get ready CJ-5, Here comes the 401! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Get ready CJ-5, Here comes the 401!

Quote Originally Posted by 76-cj7
    Watch it man........Auto zone has some shit ass motors. My brother bought a 350 from them and it crapped out in 5k miles. It had a cracked block so it litterally poured the coolant to the bottom end. The valve seats were shot so heads were pieces of shit. Well they screwed us on the warranty too since we installed the motor ourselves, it has a tach, it was in a 4x4, and apparently the half ass mechanic who they had look at it says water in the transmission caused the motor to blow up.....??? Yet to figure that one out So we decided to pull it all apart and rebuild it the RIGHT way! It was already a .060 over motor and the pistons werent even the same make.....had differnt numbers cast into underside of piston.....certain ones matched and other ones didnt.......beware of rebuild motors!!! On their screen they will list all of the things done to the motor and be sure to read whats new and whats not. Also.....how they said they would take your 360 for a core.....i doubt it. I work at auto zone and they have to be the exact same thing of we arent allowed to take it as a core. So be sure to get the store managers approval and i mean the STORE MANAGER, not the assistant or ne one else. Just watch your ass man, they'll screw you over in a heartbeat!

Check on the price of a short block from them and if possbile find one with good heads, like the single rocker ones.
    A friend of mine bought a 1969 302 through autozone as a rebuild long block and it is amazing, machine work and assembly was done perfectly. Autozone does not do the rebuilds themself, they are sent to a seperate company that does the work.

The motor will come without an oil pan, valve covers, etc so I will be able to inspect everything when it gets here. If there are any concerns it will be returned. Plus, it comes with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty.

If all their engines were built that way there is no way it would be profitable for them, too many returns, etc.

Seeing how good my friends 302 was has given me a good amount confidence in them. Also, I looked up the company who does the rebuilds for them on this particular engine, and it is done in the United States.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    i pay my dad to do rebuilds for me. he has been building engines since he was 14 years old. does it right the 1st time
    and has had no engine blow up after his rebuilds or hop ups.
    he does not believe in buying an engine from an auto parts dealer. if he orders an engine it is always a long block from
    the factory if available.in the case of the amc engines he finds
    out where one in good condition is and if a person needs it he can get it.personally i don't trust autozone after ordering a fuel pump for a 70' buick GS350. this engine is a big block and the
    fuel pump is way different from the small block 350 chevy.
    the fuel pump we got from autozone wasn't even close to
    being right. went to napa and not only got the right fuel pump but they stocked it.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

scrible88.......no shit auto zone dont rebuild them. I know they buy them from a seperate company. But watch what the hell your getting into, and as far as the unlimited mile warrenty goes........i wouldnt doubt if they screwed you over on it.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Quote Originally Posted by 76-cj7
    scrible88.......no shit auto zone dont rebuild them. I know they buy them from a seperate company. But watch what the hell your getting into, and as far as the unlimited mile warrenty goes........i wouldnt doubt if they screwed you over on it.
    Such vicious hate towards autozone, and I've never had a problem with them after years of buying parts... know the people at the store personally and everything...

What reman company has it's name on the AZ motor? At CSK, I sell Recon, Vege and Evergreen. I've had warranty issues with the Recon's, and the Evergreen's, (Their prices are usually a few bills less) but the Vege blocks seem to be quality rebuilds.

Such vicious hate towards autozone, and I've never had a problem with them after years of buying parts... know the people at the store personally and everything...

I work at the local auto zone....parts are shitty over our way. Constantly finding bad alternators and starters. Auto zone is the Wal-Mart of the auto parts world.

We sell recon and evergreen but i think thats it. Even though i work at Auto Doom i still shop our local NAPA haha. The guys at NAPA are great!! Cut me all kinds of deals plus ours has themselves a press, sandblasting cabinet, and they turn rotors and what not. Thanks to them i sandblasted all my parts while assembling my jeep this past winter and they also pressed my pinion bearings, carrier bearings, and the axle bearings for free!!! The the other Napa has a full machine shop. I take every motor to them and in return they hook me up with machining and parts. They do great work!! I dont see auto zone doing this for customers?? They guys at napa have helped me through thick and thin and the Auto Zoners, as they call us, wont lift a finger unless paid to. I have some serious issues with AZ. Been there for bout a year and a half and they still treat me like shit, complete with crappy hours and B/S pay. But i do take a liking to the discounts!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

try finding shaped hoses for an 88 lincoln MKVII and cks and
    autozone can't even look them up. went to the napa store
    here in apple valley and clay says we got 20 of them in stock
    how many do you want. try to find parts for sams' 78
    suburban. only napa can help cause they stock just about everything for the beast.and since the battle wagon has a
    hardin marine 454(it calms the savage johnpaul)they know how to look it up.try that at az or cks.i'll pay the money knowing i
    will walk out of napa with everything i need for my collection
    of dinosaurs.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)

Quote Originally Posted by rollen dean montoya
    ....they know how to look it up.try that at az or cks.i'll pay the money knowing i
    will walk out of napa with everything i need for my collection
    of dinosaurs.
    So your saying they can rebuild YOU, " ... better, stronger, faster"? THAT is a big job

Hi Rollen, 4 JD's later and I'm going to bed - been an 11 hour day at work.

Yeah, way off topic, but right on target
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

they just might be able to
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)