Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
360/727 flex plate or starter issue

Thread: 360/727 flex plate or starter issue

360/727 flex plate or starter issue

Ordered a NOS mopar flex plate for my CJ 360/727 combo after the one I got with the motor ate the starter because the ring gear is close to the engine block and the starter can't disingage. Last night I put the new flex on. It seems that it can only go on one way so I am fairly confident that I have it on there the right way. Installed the tranny and bolted up the convertor. The converter mounting pads were about 1/4" away from the flex. Inserted a washer as per the manual to take up some of the slack. My problem is that the ring gear is still close to the block and the starter still can't disingage unless I shim it out from the engine plate with 4 washers. I know I can't leave it like this put it starts, runs and the tranny seems to be working just fine. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? Any ideas? Is the starter for an automatic the same as the starter for a stick?

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS jeepsr4ever's Avatar
    I would guess its your starter not your flexplate but its hard to diagnose without having it in front of me. Torque converters will sit back behind the flexplate and will need to be sucked up. the danger of adding a washer is that if you had to force the washer you are putting alot of strain on the pump. It is VERY common to have to suck the converter forward to get it to bolt up. In fact I have never seen nor heard about one that was tight before bolting.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    Featuring www.StarLabCNC.com[/URL] for CNC plasma machines
    1-651-433-3689 TOLL FREE 1-855-433-3689

I did have to suck it forward to get it to bolt up. Would a wagoneer with a 360/727 combo would need a different starter than a cj 304/t176 combo. It seems like the nose of the starter is too long. there is around 1/2 inch from the engine plate to the ring gear where the starter bolts up.

BTW I love the nickle plated remote oil filter kit that I got from Bulltear. My idle oil pressure is 40 lbs!

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    Depends on which flex plate you have. FSJ's up to 87-88 used the Ford starter, 89 on used the Mitsu starter and different flex plate.

When I put the 401 in my 89 GW, I had to buy the correct flex plate for the 401/727 which came in some AMC cars. Had to get a different starter.
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

Just went and looked and the flex says its for Jeep Grand Wagoneer 1988-1991. So would you think I need a mitsu starter?

Thanks for the help.

Thank you from BT Junior wrench of the Forum
    That would be my best guess. I still have the starter off my 89 360. Where are you?
    Don
    84 CJ7
    82 Cherokee
    89 GW

I am in Michigan 45 miles from Detroit. Called the local Auto Zone store and they have one waiting for me. $65.00 and hopefully I can drive my jeep tonight!!!

Thanks a million