Bulltear Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Issue

Helpfull BT forum member Junior wrench of the Forum

Cam Issue

The block has been fully preped along with new cam bearings.
    We installed the cam tonight and when fully stabed in you can not turn it by hand. When you turn it with a wrench it will break free and start turning better. If you stop you have to use the wrench to start it turning again. Bearings were lubed with the cam break in lube. If you pull it out of the block to the groove in the front journal it will turn fine. Just for fun we installed the old cam and it turned fine by hand, now mind you this cam has 200,000+ miles on it. This is my first AMC build so not sure if this is right, myself I think not.

Jim
    78 Wagoneer-- The War Wagon 6" BJ's lift 33X9.5X15 BFG KO'S, Edelbrock performer carb & Intake, TFI,sway bar disconnects,Aussie Locker, Cliffhanger rear bumper

The War Buggy - 360 W/GM TBI, comp cam, Edelbrock Performer,T18A, Klune, 205 twin stick, D60/14 bolt - 5:13 -Lincon locked, 42 TSL's, full Hydro steering, Tri 4 link rear W/ coil overs + more.

The Compost Heep - 82 Wagonneer, Camo Paint Job

You should not use cam break in lube on the bearing journals. Use a good assembly lube instead, but not grease.

Cam break in lube is for lapping the cam to the lifters.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT Ultra tech

tight cam

I RAN ACCROSS THIS ON ONE OF MY 360 BUILDS. IT RAN FINE AND THERE WERE NO ISSUES.
    SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

Re: tight cam

Quote Originally Posted by JERSEYJOE
    I RAN ACCROSS THIS ON ONE OF MY 360 BUILDS. IT RAN FINE AND THERE WERE NO ISSUES.
    Depends on the type of lube, but I would not use a molly paste type cam lube on the bearings.

I use Torco or Royal Purple assembly lube on bearings.
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

We had redline assy. lube and cam lube as well.

Jim
    78 Wagoneer-- The War Wagon 6" BJ's lift 33X9.5X15 BFG KO'S, Edelbrock performer carb & Intake, TFI,sway bar disconnects,Aussie Locker, Cliffhanger rear bumper

The War Buggy - 360 W/GM TBI, comp cam, Edelbrock Performer,T18A, Klune, 205 twin stick, D60/14 bolt - 5:13 -Lincon locked, 42 TSL's, full Hydro steering, Tri 4 link rear W/ coil overs + more.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    It's a min/max thing. The bearings are at their maximum tolerance (making the smallest hole) and so are the cam journals (making them the largest diameter).

I had the same thing happen with my AMX 390. I thought I had a bearing in crooked, but they were all good, so I started measuring tolerances, and the cam was tight, about .001-.0015 on all journals. Mine was with a Crower cam. Probably a good thing, less bleed, so more oil to the main bearings. Hasn't been a problem so far.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Might also be worth checking cam length/end clearance against the cam bore plug at the rear.

Thanks guys, we will check it out Friday, going to the track tonight for test and tune.

Jim

I thought the idea of having a specified clearance between the bearings and the journals was so there was room for a film of oil inbetween so that you don't end up with metal to metal contact and the resultant wear. In other words, tighter is not always better.

might also be a slightly bent camshaft....