Bulltear Ad
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 360 Teardown.. Bearing Opinions (dialup beware)

Nothing there that won't get fixed with std machine work. I assume you are going to have the crank mic'd and turned if necessary?

Be sure to clean everything well before re-assembly - they are never clean enough.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    when you re-assemble the engine mix up some STP and 20/50
    castrol to coat everything.my dad taught me this trick and
    we never have had any problems with 1st startup. it might smoke alittle but that goes away in minutes.
    83 eagle (r.i.p.)
    85 gl1200 gold wing LTD pilot
    1999 gl1500C valkyrie(plain gold wing)
    1994 jeep grand cherokee limited pilot
    McDonnell Douglas c-17 mechanic
    corrupting people since 1962

Thank you from BT Ultra tech
    Thanks all for the information on the crank and bearings.. I will be having a shop have some fun with the crank sometime soon and will post the results.

Thanks again guys.. I really appreciate it
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 W/Injen SRI, Prothane Race Inserts, Autometer 30/30 Boost Gauge, & AGP Wastegate She's pushin' 19lbs of Boost.

1976 CJ7/304 W/Edelbrock intake & 600CFM Carb/Q-Track (Part Time Conversion)/TH400/Painless Wiring Harness/HEI Dist.

I looked at his crank this weekend (no snide comments Bob, I know how you think ). The bearings you can see, the crank journals had some normal wear. Not bad but will need some deep polish or possibly even turned 2-3 thou. Still not significant, but enough I would have it mic'ed with a minimum grind / polish. don't know if they make oversize in less than .010???

The strange thing is the cross drilled oiling holes in the crank. Front and rear didn't have any, just the one oiling hole but, #2, 3 and 4 were at different offsets of 50*-60*, I think it was #3 that was 180

Correct me here Dave if I've got the numbers wrong, lack of sleep and the f)&&^% traffic out of St. Augustine on Sunday ....

And a question I have .... we tried to losen the harmonic balancer bolt to get the front end appart, and it was not EVEN thinking of moving I was holding the block and Dave was on a 1/2" breaker bar and we broke a hickory hammer handle on the un-torquing. Needless to say, it's still there - the bolt I mean, the hammer handle turned into a dog chew toy Suggestions?? I didn't want to use a metal bar on the crank journal after that.

'Rat
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Jedi gear head
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat

And a question I have .... we tried to losen the harmonic balancer bolt to get the front end appart, and it was not EVEN thinking of moving I was holding the block and Dave was on a 1/2" breaker bar and we broke a hickory hammer handle on the un-torquing. Needless to say, it's still there - the bolt I mean, the hammer handle turned into a dog chew toy Suggestions?? I didn't want to use a metal bar on the crank journal after that.

'Rat
    1/2" drive air impact wrench.

Jeff
    1979 Jeep CJ-7 401 AMC, GMC 6-71 Blower 10% overdrive, Bugcatcher with electronic fuel injection and a little N2O for fun, all self built. (this supercharger stuff is easy)

Quote Originally Posted by Blown7

'Rat
    1/2" drive air impact wrench.

Jeff
    I needed an excuse to run air fittings in the living room
    2005 Dodge Neon SRT4 W/Injen SRI, Prothane Race Inserts, Autometer 30/30 Boost Gauge, & AGP Wastegate She's pushin' 19lbs of Boost.

1976 CJ7/304 W/Edelbrock intake & 600CFM Carb/Q-Track (Part Time Conversion)/TH400/Painless Wiring Harness/HEI Dist.

I'm thinking of bringing down the 175PSI air-machine and 600ft/lb wrench on the next trip home. Just can't justify a 1400 mile trip just for Dave's crank

It was kinda funny watching Dave bounce up and down on the breaker bar - especially when the hammer gave way

But, Dave's dog (a black Lab) took to the hickory handle pretty quickly though
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

I'm thinking of bringing down the 175PSI air-machine and 600ft/lb wrench on the next trip home. Just can't justify a 1400 mile trip just for Dave's crank

It was kinda funny watching Dave bounce up and down on the breaker bar - especially when the hammer gave way

But, Dave's dog (a black Lab) took to the hickory handle pretty quickly though
    I'll crank up my small compressor here and see if it doesn't do it.. Its only 125PSI though.
    Damn dog did take the handle pretty quick didn't he... better than my new shoes... again..

Rat, don't you have to go home to fix erin's jeeps registration? anyway?

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dbesade

-Dave
    It's both Erin's and the wife's 'Burbon (and doing taxes), but because of the timing, I'm fly'n this trip (get to meet some Congressional staff 'on-tour' the day I leave).
    I'll make a weekend Bonzi run later, but the trailer w/CJ is a wee bit heaver than flat towing a YJ. Plus whatever I need to work on your Heep
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by dbesade

-Dave
    It's both Erin's and the wife's 'Burbon (and doing taxes), but because of the timing, I'm fly'n this trip (get to meet some Congressional staff 'on-tour' the day I leave).
    I'll make a weekend Bonzi run later, but the trailer w/CJ is a wee bit heaver than flat towing a YJ. Plus whatever I need to work on your Heep
    I hear ya.. must of forgot when you mentioned you were flyin.. I hadn't slept in 2 days the day you came over.. .

-Dave