Bulltear Ad

Thread: Help starting a 390

Help starting a 390

Hey all. I'm trying to get a 390 (in a CJ) running which ran last 2 years ago. I have a brand new battery and the ignition parts look fair, but I will probably replace them. I looked at a wiring diagram and I think its wired correctly, but if anyone else has some it could help. I have the tub off and am connecting the two opposite terminals of the solenoid to tried to start it. It won't keep cranking, it's intermittant kind of. When I take a few plugs out it turns faster, like it should. Please help, what should I do???

Make sure you have a good ground from the starter/engine, to the battery/chassis.

You should be connecting the battery +POS lead to the "S" terminal on the solenoid.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    OK, the body is off, the engine is in the chassis right?
    Are you using the starter relay or just between the battery and the starter?

Starter Relay:
    red from the BATT to one side of the relay, cable (black or red) from the relay to the starter terminal. Heavy black cable (welding gauge) from the block to the chassis or the NEG on the battery. Put +12V on the S terminal (engages the solinoid) and see if it turns over.

No starter relay:
    Take your jumper cables and run right from the pos side of the battery to the starter. Red from the BATT goes on the starter terminal and connect the black to the NEG on the battery then use the other black end to touch somewhere on block that is bare metal, NOT NEAR THE CARB you WILL create a spark and we want the combustion to remain inside the cylinders !!!! Don't hold this more than a few seconds or you may overheat the battery, and battery acid is a bad thing to wear, not very chic

See how it spins with all the plugs in. If it's not fast, you may have either a weak BATT or an open winding in the starter. If it's the BATT - charge it or replace it. If it's the starter get it tested at any parts store.

If both are good, and you still can't start it, start going through the ignition system wiring.
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    OK, the body is off, the engine is in the chassis right?
    Are you using the starter relay or just between the battery and the starter?
    Thanks for the response. New battery and yes I am using the starter relay. I'm using a cut battery cable to connect the two opposite ends of the relay. It cranks intermittently. With a few plugs out it cranks up faster like it should.

R U sure you have spark?
    If yes, double check the timing

If no spark, work on the ignition circuit. Check all your grounds to make sure they are correct - clean metal on both cable/wire and ground point.
    Ensure compression stroke is where it should be (how old is this engine??) I'm still wondering about the timing between TDC and dizzy. Could be the dizzy is worn and not 'timed' right.

Good spark, correct compression cycle, no start ...
    Look at the fuel system:
    - disco the fuel line AT the carb and pump into a can

Got fuel into the can?
    If no, unplug the fuel line and clean it
    If yes, reconnect the line and look inside the carb while somebody cranks the engine, and pump the throttle ... BEWARE OF BLOW BACK (back fire)!!! Use a mirror or wear a safety shield just in case it tries to catch and blows fuel back in your eyes!!! (if that happens, it's timing by the way)

If yes at the can, no to the carb - re-build the carb (or replace it). You have a problem in the fuel bowl or jets
    If no at the carb - spray while cranking and see if you get ignition. Just enought to get a burp, but not sustain runing.

If yes to the fuel flow in the carb, yes to spark (how are the plugs? Are they gapped right?) but still no-go on ignition it has to be in the timing of fuel/spark since that is all an engine needs to run, compression, fuel, air, timing, and spark.

Just an after thought - - the valves are openining and closing right???? You have carb suction while cranking????
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Quote Originally Posted by Mudrat
    the valves are openining and closing right????
    Pretty sure of this, cause I hear "exhaust" coming out. I'll give everything you said a shot. I wish the weather was better this week. I've been busy with school and haven't really had a full day to work on it. I appreciate your help greatly and I'll make sure to let you know what it is when the dang thing cranks and fires!!! Oh yeah, and it should be a 1969 390 ci judging by the stamping

Quote Originally Posted by halflifesw
    Pretty sure of this, cause I hear "exhaust" coming out. I'll give everything you said a shot. I wish the weather was better this week. I've been busy with school and haven't really had a full day to work on it. I appreciate your help greatly and I'll make sure to let you know what it is when the dang thing cranks and fires!!! Oh yeah, and it should be a 1969 390 ci judging by the stamping
    Know how you feel - I'm in FL for 6 months away from MY Jeep. Got my daughters running though so now it's time to drive home and exchange Jeeps to get back to work on mine.

Keep us posted, and make sure both the gussin and gussout valves are working right. Could be a wasted cam as a last resort.
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    I know how both of you guys feel... I'm in Southern California and I've got another month in a half before I see my second love, (My Jeep).... ... These last 4 months away lead me to which then lead me to which in-turn lead me to long days in the class-room!!!!
    May 23rd-24th I'll be re-united with my Jeep after 5 1/2 months of separation...