Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just bought 35's now what???

just bought 35's now what???

need to buy new rims for my cj 7 want a 10 inch wheel...what offset do i need....bolt pattern etc.

rims

Just go to your local auto parts supplier or wheel store and order rims to fit a CJ7, tell them the year, the stock offset is fine and the bolt pattern is a 5 on 5 1/2
    84 CJ 7 304, Arb rear, 35 BFG,s with a 2 1/2 spring lift only and to many other mods to list, plus a offroad trailer also on 35 BFG,s

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    What year is your CJ? Lug pattern on all CJs is 5 on 5 1/2". Pre-82 is narrow track, you'll need around 3 1/2" backspacing on a 10" wheel. I ran my 77 with 3 3/4" backspacing and had a slight rub on the rear inner fenders when it flexed. A lot depends on the profile of the tire. The bigger the backspacking number, the more the tires tuck into the fenders, but the greater the chance for rubbing.

If you have an 82-up model (widetrack), you can probably get away with 4" or more of backspacing.

How much lift are you running? With a fairly flexy suspension, you'll need at least 4" + a 1" body lift to keep it from rubbing.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by tufcj
    What year is your CJ? Lug pattern on all CJs is 5 on 5 1/2". Pre-82 is narrow track, you'll need around 3 1/2" backspacing on a 10" wheel. I ran my 77 with 3 3/4" backspacing and had a slight rub on the rear inner fenders when it flexed. A lot depends on the profile of the tire. The bigger the backspacking number, the more the tires tuck into the fenders, but the greater the chance for rubbing.

If you have an 82-up model (widetrack), you can probably get away with 4" or more of backspacing.

How much lift are you running? With a fairly flexy suspension, you'll need at least 4" + a 1" body lift to keep it from rubbing.

Bob
    tufcj

6 inch suspension 1 inch body....its not to flexy and its an 83 with the wide track....i was thinking a 3.5 or 4 inch backspacing would be right.....im going to go but wheels this week and hopefully have them on there by the weekend

You should have plenty of room for 35s.

I'm running SOA (about 7") with 1" body lift and TJ flares. I have plenty of room for my 37s at full flex.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

ok i have an amc 360 with a t4 transmission and 35's....solid axles are on the way but what gear ratio should i change to i have the stock 2.73's now which will need to be changed.....i drive this jeep almost everyday over the summer down the highway....does not see to much off road...

I'd worry more about what to replace that T-4 with than what gears to go with. It won't hold up long between a 360 and 35" tires. They weren't even that great behind a 4 cylinder.

But beyond that, you can use my gear ratio calculator at http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html to play around with different ratios and see how they might work for you.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)

i know that abou the t4....its in there until it dies then it will be changed to a t-18.....but ill take a look at the calculator

The t-4 will be your weak link. I like the t-18, but for highway, something with an overdrive would be nice (NV4500). But any OD trans is so long that the rear shaft on a CJ is really short, and angles way too high.

With 35s I'd plan on at least 4:56 gears to take some strain off the box. I ran (and still have) 4.27s with the 35s and now 37s. They were barely enough with 35s and aren't enough with 37s. I have 4.88s sitting in boxes, just waiting for install (along with a Dana 60 rear).

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS
    So Bob, are the 4.88's are for the stock axle or the 60's

Mike, you'll have MORE than enough room. I've got 35's on SOA Dana 44's with a 3" spring lift and I can stuff them easily no rubbing. In fact I can just about stuff myself over them into the wheel well (don't ask )
    " “It is said that men go mad in herds, and only come to their senses slowly, and one by one.." -Charles MacKay
    "'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.' "
    -Ronald Reagan

VOTE