Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HEI and TBI

I'm starting a TBI conversion on an AMC 401. My biggest confusion is the distributor. We are currently running a Mallory Unilite which uses an infrared light for the trigger, and has a built in ignition module that looks a lot like the 4 wire GM HEI.

My question is, can I do ECM controlled timing with that distributor? I have an 8 wire GM module, that I could mount stand alone, but then would I have to remove the module from the distributor so I didn't have two?

Or, should I just put the old Duraspark distributor back in. The only thing that worries me is when I tried the TFI/HEI hybrid a year ago, I couldn't get it to work. The engine would start, run 45 seconds, then shut off. Would restart as many times as you tried, but would shut off again in 45 seconds.

(I understand about disabling the advance mechanisms in whatever distributor I use.)

I also have a Chevy distributor from the vehicle I got the TBI setup from. It has no mechanical timing advance mechanisms, an 8 wire module built in, and a stand alone e-core coil. How hard would it be to have that modified to fit the AMC 401? Seems like that would be the best bet since is was made to work with the TBI system.

Quote Originally Posted by 1980_Cj7
    I also have a Chevy distributor from the vehicle I got the TBI setup from. It has no mechanical timing advance mechanisms, an 8 wire module built in, and a stand alone e-core coil. How hard would it be to have that modified to fit the AMC 401? Seems like that would be the best bet since is was made to work with the TBI system.
    Any good machine shop should be able to convert this distributor to work with an AMC engine.
    1977 AMC Jeep Cherokee: 360/TH400/1339/44/44 - Beavis
    1984 AMC Jeep CJ7: 401/SM465/AtlasII/44/9" - Grimm Jeeper
    1986 Chevy K20: 5.3/4L60/NP241/10b/14b - Tow Rig
    2004 Pontiac GTO: LS1/T56/M80 - :D

Try out my gear ratio calculator (Now in metric)

The more I think about it, I may just stick with the Duraspark distributor, and modify it to disable the vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms.

I already have a Duraspark box gutted and a GM HEI 4 wire module mounted in it. All I'd have to do is swap the 8 wire module in its place. The wiring would be even simpler than the 4 wire module since the TBI harness plugs right into the module. All I'd have to do is connect the distributor to the module.

I like the simplicity and clean design of the GM HEI TBI distributor, but I'm thinking if I use my Duraspark distributor, I can also take advantage of the big cap TFI mod, which I've already done.