Thread: Vacuum advance acting up

Bulltear forum member Swabie

Vacuum advance acting up

Finally figured out the poping and backfiring engine probs. i pulled the vacuum advance hose and plugged it and the engine ran good. Revs good and was able to drive down the street. Before it spit and sputtered so bad you couldn't even drive it. I use the stock distributor and was wondering if you can rebuild them or is it best to just purchase a new one. I would like to have the advance vauum working properly.

And for those who are keeping up:
    Tyler born weds. April 11, 6lb 14.5 oz, 18.5 in. long. Tyler and mom are doing great!
    Wade

1980 Jeep CJ-7
    T-176
    Dana 300
    AMC 360
    Model 20
    Model 30

If it is the distributor, you're probably better off with another. Did you check the initial timing with a light? If it's too high, it'll exhibit the same problem from too much total advance.

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    If it's the motorcraft distributor, you can get just the vacuum advance module at most auto parts stores. If it's prestolite (plastic advance with 2 bulbs), toss it, and go to something aftermarket.

I'm kind of partial to Mallory Unilites, I have one in my CJ and one in my AMX. Some people hate them and say they're not reliable, but the one in the CJ has been in for 18 years with no problems. The new HEI's like Matt sells here at Bulltear are good too.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Bulltear forum member Cook
    Since this tread is old I figured I would hi jack. I have a new stock S&S reman 360 that I can't seem to keep cool. Here's my stats

Jeep CJ7

YJ Frame w/ CJ front clip
    2"body lift to clear steering box(sucks!)
    New CJ304 heavy duty 3 core radiator
    Be cool water pump
    304 stock machanical fan assy
    Stock stroud covering 70% of the fan
    Hood louvers
    Dual exhaust with stock manifolds
    Removed smog pump

What are normal engine temps?
    My engine idles at 190 all day but once I put any load on it climbs into 220 range and wants to stay there.

Used to run dual electric flex lites but was never comfortable so I recently switch back to mechanical fan. Cooling performance didn't really improve. Could I have a timing issue? Any recommendations for checking this problem?

I installed the engine but had a local shop adjust the carb and timing. The shop said the set it up to factory specs but then asked if the motor had a high performance cam. Engine starts easy/idles smooth/sounds good

Thanks in advance

John

It will run cooler with a vacuum advance system functioning properly.

Do you have a timing light? If so, check it - should be between 8-12 degrees advance of TDC with vac advance disconnected. Check this first and then check that the vac advance is moving freely.
    Bare Tub Restoring 69 BBB Javelin SST 390 Go/Mod Pak
    Frame Off Restoring 82 Wagoneer with 401 MPEFI transplant
    "First rule of government funding; Why build one when you can build two at twice the price!"

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

Didn't get to check timing but I did check to see if vacuum advance springs where frozen. I hooked up vacuum pump to the canister and observed that it moves freely under vacuum. Does anyone know what the engine vacuum should be at to start moving the vacuum advance? Any good tips to help check the timing marks earsier?

Thanks,

John