Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Dana 20 output
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana 20 output

Dana 20 output

So how about im on my way home from my buddies tonite and I decided to get the ol' Jeepers to walk sideways. So i double clutch it and WHAM! Snapped the rear output off flush with the rear housing and also grenaded my Tom Woods CV rear shaft thats only been on my jeep for a lil over a month Needless to say ill have it fixed by tomorrow with a few spare parts i have laying around but i was wondering if anyone here has spent the 471 bucks on a heavy duty output shaft from Advanced Adapters? and if so wether you think it was worth it or not?
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Bulltear forum member Swabie
    Take a look on the pirate forum, theres an installation guide and so at least one user who runs it

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I did the same thing here. I went to a Scout Dana 300.

Pics: http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6765

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Im still wondering these things:

1. how strong is the front shaft on the Dana20 (in general and compared to a 300)

2. How big can (should) you go with the driveline u-joints if you run a beefed up dana20 and dana 44 (fr & rear) or 60 axles (rear)? imho the weakest links should be still the driveline u-joints. I also prefer to break them before i break a transfer case or axle shaft

P.S. if somebody counts, no im not using 3 axles in one truck, its for two different trucks

P.P.S. @76-cj7: sorry for hijacking your thread

Tomcat....its alright man. I was actually pondering around with the same questions.
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Look at the tech story for the Atlas installation at the pirate forum. There you see exploded D20 cases and broken gears. I think the D20 with the AA shaft is strong enough till you are willing to pay 2.x k for for the Atlas.

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    shock loads bad...make big boom boom!
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

Hey guys.....guess what I did again last night?!?! Snapped it again except I had my front bumper against a tree screwing around in granny gear then wound it out to 6k in granny then grabbed first and snap! SO I picked up another t-case for 20 bucks and already have it installed and tomorrow my Advacned Adapters heavy duty output shaft will be here =D>

Thank you from BT Master (OIIIO)
    Wow... sounds like fun.... I didn't feel like spending the money for the HD output shaft so I made my own Shaft (Bigger than AA and I made the Housing out of SS)..

The only thing that you have to worry about now is splitting the case in-half... no joke!.. The weakest part on my Jeep is the driveshaft... it's easier to replace/make a driveshaft and it's a LOT cheaper... Junk yard specials...cut, machine, and weld... keep run-out to a minimum and you'll be straight then if you wanted you could have it balanced......

Yea the nice thing about what you did was its stronger now but i have no way in hell to make one on my own unless you would have made one for me...... haha