Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb cut out issues.......

Carb cut out issues.......

Ok........gots myself a 600cfm holley on top a 304 .060 over. So any ways i need to jet the sum bitch down (raw gas smell) but any ways while climbing steep creek banks it cutouts was too often for my liking but the shitty part is that this 600 does not have adjustable floats on it????? It seems all the local FLAPS have 600's with non adjustable floats but all the older ones i encounter have the set screws on the fuel bowls. But im sick of this and the carb is brand new and has only 1500 miles on it and the motor but im out scouting around for something better but not as expensive as a F.I. setup. How does Edelbrocks perform off road and i was checking out this holley 570 CFM street avenger that i think would be perfect for my application since according to Holley's formula i need a 548 cfm carb. I just dont know what to do about this? Buy a better carb or jet and change floats and bowls and make my holley 100 times better???? NEED ANY SORT OF HELP FOR THIS!!! any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    I have a 600 Holley on mine I would get different bowls and floats with off-road needles and then extend the bowl overflow vents up with some rubber line so they don't pour into the carb throats and stall your engine. Mine also tends to be a little touchy on the idle circuit screws. Make sure they are tuned or she'll wanna stall pretty easy. then make sure your accelerator pump isn't too rich or lean or they will cut out when you mash the skinny pedal and you go no where

Thank you from BT ULTIMUS MAXIMUS STATUS tufcj's Avatar
    I had a lot of problems with the 600. I added the off-road float kit with spring loaded needles, a secondary metering block (factory is a non-jettable plate), "whistle" and slosh tubes, and extended the float vents. The mods exceeded the original price of the carb, but did make it livable off-road. The only problem I couldn't cure was starving for gas on an extreme nose-down attitude.

I eventually went to Howell-EFI. One thing I found out then was that the limitations of the carb proved to be my "safety valve", as my second outing with the EFI, I rolled the Jeep. It kept right on running where the carb would have stalled.

Bob
    tufcj
    1969 AMX
    1967 Rambler Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
    you'll eventually pay for it...
    and not have it.
    Henry Ford

Thank you from BT ULTRA TECH MASTER!!!
    I'll probably cath hell for this.. But I use the edelbrock carbs and while you can get steep enough to stall them they are better than the holley. and the holley with the no jet plates and etc.. may be fine on the street but by the time you get it to work off road you will have dumped a bunch of money into it.

I have one Edelbrock 1406 and the offroad version on the CJ and truly I hvent had any trouble out of them.
    But keep in mind the floats are not externally adjustable on them either.
    "A man's got to know his limitation's"

Dirty Harry.

I have the 1426 with the pressure seated needles and let me tell you it took a while to get it right. The floats had to be lowered and the idle mixture screws were out of adjustment. After my first trip out I was ready to throw it off a cliff. But with patience and little adjustments at a time I got it to be livable. On another note it did save me from a roll over when it cut out just before disaster struck.

I dunno, these carbs have me pissed off right now. Really want to go fuel infection but dont have the cash
    1980 CJ-5, 360 powered, T-18, Dana 20, Advanced Adapters output , 4.56's, Dana 30 frt chromoly shafts w/297 joints and Tru-Trac and M20 rear with Detroit, Superior shafts, and disc brakes and Tom Woods frt and rear shafts.........about 10k in misc aftermarket parts!

Oh I am with you on the fuel injection.. but who can afford 1200 for the howell and 2500 for the edelbrock.

Dirty Harry.

Bingo Goose.......thats the exact problem im having haha But the Truck Avenger is too damn expensive and too many CFM's for my wittle ol' 304 haha

Thank you from BT Tech Master Bulltear Forum
    you can always go with the junkyard TBI and spend a weekend in the yard looking for all the sensors and wiring.

I have wanted to try the "Junkyard TBI" but I have never seen any clear instructions etc.. know of any??

Dirty Harry.